Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Tigers in India

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janice
Baby Iguana
Baby Iguana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Tigers in India Reply with quote
Cool Just today, I was reading an article regarding the tigers of India. How their numbers are depleted. I have no link to post. However, everyone have a great evening....
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Janice,

That is a very important topic you mentioned. I've been reading a bit here and there on India's tigers over the past couple of years, trying to follow the progress - and have to admit that it really doesn't look good for them. Not sure which article you read - but you got me curious enough to start browsing the web on this subject. I have to say that I find their situation there to be particularly saddening. Many of the tigers that lived on preserves in India have vanished due to poaching. Amazing! Evil or Very Mad There really is no place that is safe for them there. Apparently - there is an organized crime ring that has been poaching and selling these magnificent animals - stealing them from the very place these beautiful cat should feel safest! Here's some of the information that I found.

Shocking scale of market for tiger and leopard skins revealed
23rd September 2005
(WPSI Website - Wildlife Protection Society of India)
http://www.wpsi-india.org/news/23092005.php

Excerpts:
"Dramatic new findings released today from investigations in China and the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) reveal the previously unknown scale of the trade in tiger and leopard skins. Skins are being openly traded in China and TAR on a scale that triggers real fear over the future of the wild tiger.

The Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA), who first pioneered undercover investigation into crimes against wildlife and the environment 21 years ago, and the Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI) have just returned from investigations conducted in August this year.

EIA and WPSI have obtained footage revealing the staggering size of the market for tiger and leopard skins - much of which is being used for costumes and ceremonial events. Investigators attended horse festivals across the Tibetan plateau where many people, including the organisers and officials, were wearing costumes decorated with tiger and leopard skins, known locally as chubas. The costumes had been bought within the last two years and the traders categorically stated that the tiger skins had come from India."

Debbie Banks, EIA's Senior Campaigner, stated:

"In the last five years, the international community has seen the trade in tiger and leopard skins spiral out of control. If this trade continues unabated for another five years, it will be the end for the wild tiger. It is imperative that the Indian and Chinese governments stop this trade now, before time runs out.

EIA and WPSI appeal to the Tibetan people to stop wearing endangered tiger and leopard skins, and urge international organisations to support awareness initiatives to get the message to consumers as fast as possible.

EIA and WPSI are calling on the Indian government to immediately establish a professionally-led enforcement unit to target the wildlife criminals who are controlling the trade, and the Chinese government to undertake enforcement actions to stop the smugglers and traders of tiger and leopard skins."

2 Major Leopard & Tiger Skin Seizures
New Delhi, 10 January 2006
http://www.wpsi-india.org/news/10012006.php

Stop the Slaughter – Stop Wearing Tiger Skins: NGOS Rally Together to Stop the Tiger Skin
January 13, 2006
http://www.wpsi-india.org/news/13012006.php

Poacher Sansar Chand revealed Tibet, Nepal links: CBI
6th Feb., 2006
http://www.wpsi-india.org/news/06022006.php

UK and India work together to save tigers from extinction
Page last modified: 8 February 2006 (Defra)
http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/issues/2006/bio-0208.htm

Some good news, for a change!
10th Feb., 2006 (WPSI website)
http://www.wpsi-india.org/news/10022006.php

China calls out Troops to stop the Burning of Skins in Tibet
15th Feb., 2006
http://www.wpsi-india.org/news/15022006-1.php

Let me know if any of these is the article you read. I'd really like to read the one you saw.

I hope that all is well with you and that your move is going smoothly. Take care and stay in touch.

Best Regards,

V

chugotigre
Fruit Fly
Fruit Fly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: IT IS A TERRIBLE HISTORY!!! Reply with quote
I JUST WATCHED A DOCUMENTAL HERE IN ANIMAL PLANET LATINOAMERICA AND I WAS REALLY UPSET IN INDIA TIGERS ARE DYING AND POROJECT TIGER IS NOT DOING ANYTHING. STUPID HUNTERS ORGANICED IN A NEW MAFIA ARE KILLING TIGERS IN THEIR HABITAT.

WE CAN NOT LET THIS TO HAPPEN I WANT MY KIDS TO SEE THE MOST BEATUFUL ANIMAL ON PLANET LIVE IN THEIR REAL HABITAT.

THIS PROBLEM IS TRUE 40 PERCENT OF TIGERS HAVE DECREASED IN THE LAST 10 YEARS HELLO ??? IN THE 90`S WE SAID POPULATION OF TIGERS IN WILD HABITAT ARE INCREASING BUT RIGHT NOW IT IS A LIE.

PLEASE WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING I AM IN SHOCK AND I CANT NOT FIND REPORTS THAT GIVE US GOOD NEWS WE HAVE TO FIGHT FOR THE TIGER.

MUST HATE ALL THE HUNTERS, ALL THE TIBETANS MONKS THAT ARE WEARING CLOTHES WITH TIGER SKINS. AND FINALLY ALL THE CHINESE POTIONS ......

I KNOW THAT THE TIGER WILL FIGHT ,SURVIVE AND WIN THIS PROBLEM BECUASE A TIGER NEVER GIVES UP BUT I ALSO KNOW THAT TIGER IS NOT ALONE AND MILLIONS OF PERSONS WILL WALK WITH THEM AND I AM ONE OF THEM.

FROM BOLIVIA

CHUGO Y QUE VIVA EL TIGRE !!!
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Welcome Chugo Reply with quote
Hi Chugo & Welcome to the Forum Exclamation

Great to see you already posting comments and joining the discussions. So you love the big cats? You are in good company here. So do we Exclamation

Thanks for reviving this discussion. You are so right about the tigers in India. That has been a really sad situation and corrupt officials who haved allowed poaching rings to continue their dirty work have not helped. Corrupt officials in BOTH China and India have had hand in helping the poachers to continue their evil deeds towards this species. Evil or Very Mad I wonder what they'll do after thay have wiped out tigers in their region?

Quote:
Last year, officials were forced to acknowledge that poachers had wiped out every tiger in Sariska, one of India's premier tiger reserves, and that Indian wildlife officials had been long exaggerating the number of tigers across the country. But despite a loud public and official outcry, Wright said tiger protection had not improved.

Arrow Roar of India's tigers close to being silenced
Delhi, September 29, 2006 (TheAge.com website)

Quote:
Trade in poached Indian tigers is flourishing across the border in Chinese-controlled Tibet, where organised crime groups sell them for use in traditional medicines, ceremonial clothing and as souvenirs, according to the Wildlife Protection Society of India and the international Environmental Investigation Agency.

"In China, the police have decided to turn a blind eye to the slaughter of tigers in India," said Belinda Wright, the director of WPSI. The inaction comes despite China's tough laws against trading in endangered animals, she noted.

Pictures secretly taken in Tibet and shown at a news conference yesterday showed dozens of tiger and leopard skins openly on sale. In some photos, Chinese police officers laughed and posed with people wearing costumes made of tiger skins.

Here's what the Indian Government is doing to try to help tigers:

Arrow Govt takes steps for conservation of tigers and habitats
October 8, 2006, ZeeNews.com website, Bureau Report

This is what is being done in China:

Arrow Teaching captive Siberian tigers how to go wild
Sunday, September 24, 2006 (India eNews.com website)

Quote:
Changchun (China), Sep 24 (Xinhua) An artificial breeding base for Siberian tigers in China has announced plans to train 620 captive-bred animals to live in the wild. . . .

Tigers thrive in areas of dense vegetation with numerous sources of water and large populations of ungulate prey, but the reality check was the serious loss of forested land, said Sun.

'Increased human activities such as highway construction have turned tiger habitats into isolated islands and large tiger groups have split into smaller ones, which results in in-breeding and degrades the species,' said Sun.

'Success in releasing the trained tigers into the deep mountains should begin with the protection of the ecological environment and I think right now it would be more meaningful to spend the money on cultivating an environment where Siberian tigers can flourish,' Sun added.

Wang Shubai, head of the Mount Changbai Siberian Tigers Wilderness Training Ground, said Mount Changbai was close to the natural habitat of tigers with a wealth of vegetation and primitive forest.

bertnspike
Panther
Panther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad This whole thing is ridiculous. There are too many people taking habitat from the animals.

Unfortunately, I'm not Queen of the World, so the world is not going to listen to me.

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by bertnspike on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you read the below article Question

Arrow China calls out Troops to stop the Burning of Skins in Tibet
15th Feb., 2006, Wildlife Protection Society of India website
Quote:
The message is spreading across the Tibetan plateau and the wearing of endangered animal skins now even invites public ridicule. The Tibetan people who are burning skins should be applauded for trying to stop the illegal trade in wildlife skins and for implementing existing wildlife laws.

May God bless these good people (Tibetans) for their effortsExclamation Cool

Tibet
There were other articles out there that shed more light on that very sad situation. If you check them out, you'll see where corrupt Chinese government officials were forcing Tibetans to stop burning animal skins -- and forcing people to wear fur each time they appeared on TV.

China
You can't, however, lump all of China together and believe that the sentiments of corrupt, greedy, prideful officials represents the whole of China. They do not. It just isn't that simple! In particular, among the younger generation there is a growing base of animal lovers as well as those who are extremely passionate about preserving different species of animals, and are involved in serious conservation efforts!

India
Likewise in India -- Tigers have very passionate advocates there too! However, a corrupt, inefficiant and complacent beauracracy has constantly undermined the attempts of those who have tried to protect the tigers -- thus catering to animal smuggling rings in India and elsewhere.

America
According to a recent report by the WWF, Americans are leaving the largest "ecological footprints" on our earth. So this country does not yet set the standard for the rest of the earth to follow. If our populations are less than that of the countries you criticized -- then we are setting an ESPECIALLY POOR example. (check out the articles, especially the last one posted in the topic below)

EDIT:
Arrow Earth's Limited Resources

My point is that no country's hands are TOTALLY CLEAN, so we ALL need to work together to find solutions that will help to preserve natural habitats and save animals! Surprised Cool

Just food for thought... Confused

bertnspike
Panther
Panther

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are absolutely right, Vlad. I tend to go overboard when I rant. Shocked It is true that no country has clean hands in this matter. I maintain though, that human population control is the biggest problem of all.

Thanks be to all the gods that many of the younger people DO care. Hopefully they will be able to right many of the wrongs done by former generations.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: