Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

There has to be a better way to save tigers!?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: There has to be a better way to save tigers!? Reply with quote
Nature's Nurturer (Gambit Weekly)
01/09/2001

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/archives/2001/0109/covs2.html

"Another project that Godke is currently discussing with AICRES scientists is a tiger-to-lion embryo transfer. This project is Dresser’s current effort to place science in service to wild beauty. Tigers are dying faster than they can reproduce – in part because their habitats are shrinking due to human population growth, in part because tigers are reluctant to breed in captivity. Lions are more plentiful and less shy in their breeding habits. So, under Dresser’s direction, AICRES scientists are working on finding a way to implant a tiger embryo into one or several of the eight lionesses who live at FMASSC.

There is one male lion who lives on the other side of the fence from the female lions (the fence is there to prevent accidental lion cub conception, as these mother lions are being saved for tiger babies). Dresser calls this lone lion the "teaser male." His job is to arouse the females into estrus; they won’t go into heat on their own. The females need to see the male, as Dresser puts it, "always parading up and down" before they will exhibit the behavior indicating that they’re in heat. The tiger-to-lion embryo transfer project hinges on exact timing, otherwise the lioness’ uterus won’t accept implantation of the tiger embryo."

Candidates for this project are lined up according to scarcity, the most plentiful going first. The first tigers in line for an embryo transfer will be the Bengal tigers in the Baton Rouge Zoo, which are less rare than the Sumatra tigers in the Audubon Zoo. Before trying anything with an actual tiger embryo and lioness, however, the AICRES scientists are first proving the model for the procedure by doing as many successful embryo transfers on domestic house cats as they can. Dresser also makes it clear that "we never euthanize our animals. After our house cats perform their little miracles for us, we have an adoption program to find them homes." Cayenne, the surrogate mother of Jazz, now lives with AICRES scientist Earle Pope.

Cloning is Dresser’s next area of project design for saving endangered species. This technology has already been applied to the reproduction of farm animals – Dolly the sheep being the most famous – but not exotic animals. Cloning also draws the most fire from flat-earthers and advocates for habitat conservation, who say that emphasis on cloning will draw valuable funding away from preserving the wild land that the animals need to live on. The flat-earthers tend to fear the association of cloning with "making a master race."
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Tiger Tiger Burning Bright ~ Dalai Lama Reply with quote
Interesting post Val......cloning is inevitable, necessary for genetic research and scary due to inevitable abuses which are sure to occur. Implanting tigers in lions, huh? Gotta admit that makes me a bit uneasy....so much manipulation. Is all of it REALLY necessary? Hmmm.....

Chose this thread because Val stated here......
Quote:
There has to be a better way to save tigers!?

I got this link from one of my google alerts today and I have to admit to being optimistic: http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article345504.ece
Quote:
Tibetans are setting fire to tiger skins and other exotic furs after the Dalai Lama personally called on his people to stop the trade in endangered animal pelts. Tibet has become the world's leading market for the contraband, as Justin Huggler reports

A longish article, which outlines some of the problems and history of the disappearances of the tigers in India, it is a nice bit of good news. THIS is what needs to be done.......preserve them where they live! I am going to be praying this movement takes off in a big way Exclamation
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Onlookers have gathered to watch as Tibetans burned tiger skins worth as much as £6,000 in the streets. Many have given up their chubas, traditional robes adorned with tiger skins that can cost the equivalent of two years' wages for the average Tibetan, and watched happily as they went up in smoke.

Beautiful!!! I love the Tibetans who burned those tiger skins. Smile Talk about putting your money where your mouth is... Confused

Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to read it again more carefully - but that caught my eye and warmed my heart. Very Happy

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: