Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Bugs and Insects Trivia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Animals in the News & Animal Trivia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Bugs and Insects Trivia Reply with quote
Ok, Val... these are for you! Very Happy

1. A cockroach can live up to how long without it's head?
2. A typical bed usually houses over _____________ dust mites.
3. ____________ (______ ants found in the western U.S.) steal the larvae of other ants to keep as slaves. The slave ants build homes for and feed the _________ ants, who cannot do anything but fight. They depend completely on their slaves for survival.
4. These don't sleep.
5. Australian termites have been known to build mounds ____ feet high and at least ___ feet wide.
6. Only female mosquitoes bite. Females need the ______ from blood to produce their eggs.
7. The _________ kills more people world-wide than all the poisonous snakes combined.
8. There are more insects in ____ square mile of rural land than there are human beings on the entire earth.
9. You're more likely to be a target for mosquitoes if you consume ________.
10. Worker ants may live ________ years and the queen may live as long as _______ years.

Not sure these are totally accurate, but I found them interesting and thought ya'll might like to try them. Smile
So stand in the rain Stand your ground Stand up when it's all crashing down You stand through the pain You won't drown And one day, whats lost can be found You stand in the rain ~Superchic[k]~-~Stand in the Rain~
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BUGS!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I just love bugs & snakes & stuff! (Should have been a guy! Just kidding. Laughing ). Three months ago I met another girl who is bug-crazy - and that made me very happy! Very Happy We were introduced because her brother doesn't like bugs & I kept trying to buy this gorgeous mounted bug from him (which creeps him out - but he keeps it because he loves his sister who gave it to him... and refuses to part with it Laughing ). He doesn't know it yet - but he's sellin' that thing to me. hehe Wink Smile

Thanks Kels Exclamation

So I'll take a crack at one of them. Good trivia - and will take a collective effort from us Nerds. Wink

9. You're more likely to be a target for mosquitoes if you consume BANANAS!

tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
YEP! That explains why they always seem to be attacking me... I love my bananas. Very Happy

PS. Just had my mom read those Ever Wonder statements and now thinks I'm even weirder than ever (again used the comment I had to get it from somewhere Wink) but I could swear I hear a chuckle or two.
So stand in the rain Stand your ground Stand up when it's all crashing down You stand through the pain You won't drown And one day, whats lost can be found You stand in the rain ~Superchic[k]~-~Stand in the Rain~
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OH NO! Not the honey bee!? Shocked

7. The honey bee kills more people world-wide than all the poisonous snakes combined.

Maybe these little guys are the MAIN culprits? Confused

Attack of the "Killer Bees"
Posted on Desert USA website:
http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/sep/stories/kbees.html

"It is not necessary to disturb the hive itself to initiate an AHB attack. In fact, Africanized bees have been know to respond viciously to mundane occurrences, including noises or even vibrations from vehicles, equipment and pedestrians.

Though their venom is no more potent than native honey bees, Africanized bees attack in far greater numbers and pursue perceived enemies for greater distances. Once disturbed, colonies may remain agitated for 24 hours, attacking people and animals within a range of a quarter mile from the hive."

tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, yes. The honeybee. Surprising isn't it... I never would've thought it...
cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
wow no way! i dident know that. i learn more things here then i do at school lol!!

this summer i got stung by a bee for the first time Ever! i am really glad i wasent elergic. he he. but i must say it does hurt!

ok heres the story! my uncle and my new aunt moved into my town. they live just a few streets over. and they have this dog named hershey and i love her to death. they have this bush in the middle of thier hills and hershey has a runner on the tree a little ways from it. well she saw somthing go down the street and went to chase it and the bush was in the way. she rapped herself around it, the bush which was filled with angry bees has a hershey attached to it. Poor hershey was getting stung and she started to whimper and whin so i came outside and saw her there. i ran over to her and un hooked her. she ran inside the house whimpering and i had to run away from the bees. they stung me on the leg OUCH! i only was stung twice becuase i ran away pretty fast.

they are cutting down the bush this summer.

Poor hershey gets stung alot. she was in the yard and she steped on a hornet! she limped for a day!!!LOL
heaven198604
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
awww poor hershey thats sad.. mean bees ... and i didnt know all that about honey bees i though african bees were killers not are sweet honey bees, maybe we should change there name. honeybees is a understatment, for them .
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Heaven - Only the female honey bee can sting and she gives up her life when she does that. But the males don't sting. I don't know how to tell them apart - so I'm "hands-off" with them. A woman I used to work with years ago absolutely adored honey bees. She used to pet them. Shocked I don't recommend that - but she is the first person I knew who was so smitten with them. They are important insects & help with pollination.

Here are some links with close-ups of one of your beloved honey bees! Very Happy
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/honey_bee.htm
http://www.gpnc.org/honeybee.htm

Kels

1. A cockroach can live for up to a week without a head.

http://www.uen.org/utahlink/activities/view_activity.cgi?activity_id=2025

Cockroach Facts: http://yucky.kids.discovery.com/noflash/roaches/pg000097.html

tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes Val! You're getting your nerd on aren't you!
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
2. A typical bed usually houses over six billion dust mites.
Ewwwwwww! Shocked Thanks for sharing that Kels. I think I'll sleep in the chair tonight! Confused

3. Amazon ants (red ants found in the western U.S.) steal the larvae of other ants to keep as slaves. The slave ants build homes for and feed the Amazon ants, who cannot do anything but fight. They depend completely on their slaves for survival.

Some Amazon ants have some other interesting habits and are responsible for what is referred to as "Devil's Gardens."
http://tinylinks.net/1571

4. These don't sleep.
Fired up Nerds? Laughing Ants don't sleep either. What a life! I'd love to be able to just keep going & not have to waste time sleeping... But I'd have to be an ant to do that - so I'll just leave things as they are. Confused

hehe Kels - do I get a cookie? Mr. Green

Last edited by vlad on Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
heaven198604
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks vlad... for the great facts on honey bees .. i know that they give their life when they sting cause i got stung on the side of my eye when i was younger and all her guts came out YUCKKKK !!!!!!! Ya needless to say it hurt .. and i would never ever pet a bee.. that seems kinda crazy... lol.. ewww roches .. not my kind of bug give me creeps.
tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Way to go Val!

Here's your choice of cookies for you!

http://z.about.com/d/southernfood/1/0/N/D/cookies021.jpg
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you Kels Very Happy. Since they are Christmas cookies - I'm putting them in the freezer for next year! Wink Very Happy

5. Australian termites have been known to build mounds 20 feet high and at least 100 feet wide.
...found some termine mound pics!

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dewart/pictures.htm
http://tinylinks.net/1611
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/Photos/Australia2003/crw_3833.html
http://www.aboriginal-art.de/art_eng/2335.htm

And from the CSIRO's Double Helix Club article "TROUBLE WITH TERMITES" by By Roger Beckmann - some Termmite Trivia (statisics from RMIT Openline):
--termites are major pests on several continents (Africa, Asia, Australia and the Americas)
--there are roughly 12 000 trillion termites on our planet
--there are about 10 times more termites than all the people in the world
--it is thought that termites are responsible for roughly 40% of the global release of methane (which is a greenhouse gas)
--termites eat nearly 7 billion tons of plant material each year

6. Only female mosquitoes bite. Females need the protein from blood to produce their eggs.

I did not know that mosquitoes are primarily nectar feeders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito

Last edited by vlad on Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correctomundo! 1 left and you get the link for all I don't know how many there are. Wink
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
8. There are more insects in one square mile of rural land than there are human beings on the entire earth.
Shocked Shocked Shocked Insects really DO rule!!!!Smile

10. Worker ants may live seven years and the queen may live as long as fifteen years.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/insects/ant/Antcoloringpage.shtml

Hey! I found a really interesting ant fact! Because some ants, such as the black ant and the wood ant squirt formic acid - birds will place them in their feathers to rid themselves of pests! Cool
http://www.lingolex.com/ants.htm

hehe Kels I want gingersnaps! Wink Very Happy

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Animals in the News & Animal Trivia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: