Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Looking for guidance in caring for a Margay kitten

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Webcam Snapshots & Member Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamgate
Dung Beetle
Dung Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Looking for guidance in caring for a Margay kitten Reply with quote
I'm new to this forum, and new to being the foster parent to a young Margay kitten. I live in Panama, and the vets here don't have much information to give me. Let me give you some background information.

I have been living in a fairly remote area on the Caribbean coast of Panama. I was asked by one of the local Indians to help rescue an abandoned kitten. It was about two weeks old, and was almost too weak to stand. I nursed the little girl back to health and gave her to a local friend of mine to care for. She is now almost 6 months old, and healthy.My friend had to return to the US, and I now have a young cat to raise for several weeks.

The cat is obviously a Margay, or (most likely) a cross between a Margay and a local cat.She has been living on a diet of raw chicken, is liter trained, and very friendly and loving. She and my yellow lab get along great.

So, to my question: What is the future for this sweet cat? I doubt that she could be re-introduced to the wild at this point. There are no preserves in Panama that can care for her, and the Panamanian government will not let her leave Panama. My friend lives on an island, has plenty of land, and a few neighbors who are already accustomed to seeing the "Little Tiger" standing on her dock. Can she realistically keep a Margay cat with her on the island? Does she need to teach it survival skills and how to hunt, or treat the cat like a domestic cat? Some people here believe that the cat will become dangerous when she gets older, and some believe that she will always remain a gentle domesticated cat.

I need someone with experience here to give me some honest onformation.

Thanks
Angrod Saralonde
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
At the beginning: Welcome to the forum, dreamgate. Smile

If you need help, then ask tigerdave Wink
He ist the man with the most experience with big cats. I think, he can help you. Smile

I am not the best one with this topic, but in my opinion, you can't treat the cat like a domestic cat. Margays are wild cats and they will ever be a WILD cat.
7 days to the poison
And a place in heaven
Time drawing near as they come to take us

by Nightwish - "7 Days to the wolves"
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm not sure what to say but i would think the Margay cross will find away to survive and as far as it being nasty and a threat to people i highly dought it ! I think she can live a great live on the island and be part pet and wild at the same time and if it was me i would keep her outside and care for her like an outside cat would be my guess if need be !!! Cats are awesome at surviving and have build in instince so i think she would be fine outside and would be cool to have around and really be easy to care for and at the same time be fairly free to come and go as she likes !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smilodon
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting. Smile Do you have any pictures of her? I’ve never heard of any confirmed cases of margay/domestic cat hybrids. I agree that she probably wouldn’t survive reintroduction into the wild. Perhaps you can build some kind of large outdoor enclosure for her that would give her lots of room to hide and climb. I don’t think a margay or hybrid would really be dangerous to a human, but once she is full grown anyone who wants to handle her should be cautious to treat her with the respect that a wild animal deserves.
keykey
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum dreamgate! Very Happy
AWESOME a Margay kitten, maybe we could see a picture of her sometime?!
Does this Margay kitten, have a name?
Feel free to take a look around here in the forum.

Enjoy! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dreamgate
Dung Beetle
Dung Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Margay Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice. My feeling is that since this cat has lived its entire life around humans, she will act more like a domesticated cat than a wild cat. Will this still be true when she reaches maturity? The government here would like to see her returned to the wild, but I'm afraid that since she has no fear of humans, this will just create problems. Her "natural habitat" doesn't exist anymore. There are humans everywhere, even in the most seemingly remote places. Her natural prey has been replaced by chickens.

I'm trying to get permission from the Panamanian government to allow me to travel with Rita to the US. I would like to have her examined by a vet who has some experience with larger cats. None of the vets in Panama seem to have that experience.

Rita has had a rabies vaccine, so I can bring her to the US, but what other immunizations would be recommended. Feline leukemia?

Lastly, I'd love to post a photo of this cat, but I can't figure out how to do it. It's probably simple, but I'm at a loss.
keykey
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi dreamgate! Very Happy
Most of us here use Imageshack to host pictures, etc...
You might want to take a look at the READ ME: Forum Tips, Guidelines, and Updates.

Arrow Creating Clickable Thumbnails Using Imageshack
Arrow Ace's Instructions for Hosting Pictures Using Imageshack
At the same time maybe you would like to take a look at the Tigerhomes Gift Shop.

Hope this helps you... looking forward in seeing little Rita! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dreamgate
Dung Beetle
Dung Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Looking for guidance in caring for a Margay kitten Reply with quote
Here are some links to photos of Rita:

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0155fj6.jpg

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0163pz6.jpg

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0170nm6.jpg

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0195tu9.jpg

Thanks, Laura!
keykey
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now, thats an AWESOME looking cat... dreamgate! Very Happy
Thanks so much for sharing Rita with us.

gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are very welcome. I'm pleased to have been able to help out here with the pics. Rita is absolutely beautiful and I am so happy to be able to see her. OMG she is SWEET!!

Sounds like there will be loads of red tape to weed through on both ends in trying to bring her here. Lots of uncertainties for this little one but I'm sure she will be well cared for no matter what. Whichever direction this takes you in. Please do keep us informed as this is very interesting and I'd like to hear how things go. I rather like Dave's take on it, though with that option there really is no way to guarantee her safety is there? ahhh, decisions, decisions. Wishing you loads of luck.

For some more info on Margay cats for anyone interested, this is an excellent starting point: http://www.tigerhomes.org/wild-cats/wc-margay.cfm

Smilodon
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What a cute fuzzball! Very Happy She doesn’t look like a hybrid to me. I don’t know much about the legal issues you would face in trying to take her to another country, but I’m sure there will be many differences between her and domestic cats when she reaches maturity. As a wild animal and a largely arboreal species, she will probably have a lot of different behaviors and stimulus needs than a domestic cat would.
Peachey
Golden Tiger
Golden Tiger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Send Rita to me....hehe........what a cutie!!!!!!
She is certainly a beauty!!

Kim
hadriya9091
Human Tourist
Human Tourist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi i am newbie here , I like this forum , It's very nice and informative , It's also very benefited for us.i am personally impressed to join this forum … really thanks to provide me this kind of friendly atmosphere.
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome,hadriya! Things are a bit quiet right now, but I hope that changes soon. Welcome to Tigerhomes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Webcam Snapshots & Member Art All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: