Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Tibetan monks looking after tigers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Your Favorite Sanctuary Tigers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Tibetan monks looking after tigers Reply with quote
I foun this really interesting....found it on the news and also seen a programme about it.

This story is about tibetan monks in thailand looking after bengal tigers...they started by looking after a tiger that had been injured by a hunter but dies days after...Now they have been looking after tigers since 1998.

What is disturbing though is that they are free to roam around which is a good thing but not with people roaming around too.

The tigers look like they are well looked after and because of there religion they cannot kill to feed them so they feed them dog food...thay say the tigers are so happy in there temple home they are breeding and there is too many for the monks to look after so wonder whats gonna happen to them.

Here is the link to this story

http://www.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,30000-1199923-1,00.html
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D. H. Lawrence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow! That is the wildest (pardon the pun) thing I've ever heard - or seen! I'm totally impressed with their love for tigers - but that is a really scary situation! Not too sure about dog food having all the nutrients they need. Confused

I just hope they're never late with din-din!
Shocked
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Monks living amond Tigers Reply with quote
Awesome story for sure. Now in a DREAM world, that would be great, living among the tigers and have them just strolling around the place and letting you hug them and laying in your lap and all. But this is REALITY and I think these people have some "waking" up to do. Notice the story didn't tell you of any people getting hurt or possibly even killed, and if this has been going on since the late 1990's, you can almost bet that it has happened. And Dog food? How long do they really think that is going to keep these huge cats Satisfied?! I think it is just a matter of time. The only good thing I see about this is that they seem to be safe from the poachers right now, but that too is just a matter of time. And they also said that the Tigers have been breeding so much that they now have so many that they can't take care of them all. Hmmmm...Wonder what will happen to them? Thanks for the info Haze! Great post! Laughing
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Monks living amond Tigers Reply with quote
kitty24 wrote:
Notice the story didn't tell you of any people getting hurt or possibly even killed, and if this has been going on since the late 1990's, you can almost bet that it has happened.

What you said make me think of a story from awhile back. I wonder is there are any similarities here? Here's an a little story about P.T. Barnum's "Happy Family" exhibit. Hmmmmmmmmm! Confused

http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=6394
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Tibetan Tiger Temple Reply with quote
Tibetan Monks & Tigers. You guys reminded me I had this link saved.
http://www.tigertemple.org/Eng/index.htm
I'm going to have to go check site out a little more myself. Shall I admit to just tonight finding the place to click to view it in English? Embarassed To get an idea of what a nightmare it was trying to navigate it in Thai, just try clicking the 'thai version' and check it out!! OMG. Looks cool but I couldn't even guess NOT ONE word. Laughing

Too right about the dog food!! I thought the same thing when I heard that. Also, I seem to remember seeing a segment of a Jeff Corwin episode where he visited that place. I looked like this Arrow Shocked when I saw them walking around in the open with all those tigers Exclamation
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Laura! Very Happy What an extensive site! That was a really interesting read too!

Translated pages are a hoot - but the translation is good enough to get a good feel for what is going on there!

The Q&A page was particularly interesting to me. These were some of the same questions I had.

One thing they answered for me - concerned the tigers' diets. Apparently they get whole chicken, beef & dried cat food. Interesting. The cats appear to be healthy & big!

Another thing I was wondering was what type of tigers these were. They said they were Indo Chinese tigers. They are listed by the IUCN as critically endangered. One site placed their wild population between 1227 and 1785 animals. So it will be a great thing if they can re-wild the next generation. I also think it is wise to choose tigers that are not too familiar with and have no fear of humans. Releasing those guys anywhere near people can spell huge trouble!

Question #9 was particularly interesting to me. It seems these guys plan on doing some serious conservation work with these tigers!

Q9) Will they ever be released back into the wild?

A9) No. Not this generation because they cannot hunt and feed themselves. Also they are too familiar with humans. The tiger in the wild is very secretive and fearful but these have no fear of humans.

The next generation will be released back to the wild, onto a reserve. They will have little human contact. They will be trained to hunt and feed themselves on the ‘ Tiger Island ’, currently under construction and then released back into the wild.

Here's a link to the Q&A page for anyone who may want to go straight there!

http://www.tigertemple.org/Eng/good_q.htm

Trivia Question re Tigers:

China has 3 subspecies of tigers there. Does anyone know what they are Question
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Last edited by vlad on Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think that would be a great idea yup great post val Wink
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Tiger Trivia Question re China's Subspecies Reply with quote
Hey Cheetah! Thanks! Smile Just learning & sharing info from that great post Laura made! Very Happy

Heyyyy! Did you see the trivia question? What do you think the answer is?

Trivia Question re China's Tigers:

gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Three tiger species in China Reply with quote
Hi Val........wellanow, I am not really sure on this but my GUESS would have to be the South China Tiger, the Sumatran Tiger and the Indo-Chinese Tiger. Very Happy Using my super-deducting powers( Laughing ) I sort of figured that the Siberian and the Bengal were Russia & India (approximately) so the remaining three must be the answer to your question. Question Maybe. Wink Don't keep me in suspense now....... Laughing
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice try Laura! hehe Very Happy

Can't give any hints until a few more people try to guess! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

P.S. I got tiger videos to post when the right answer is posted! Twisted Evil
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Tiger Videos Reply with quote
Hurry up you guys!!! Get Val some answers Exclamation I wanna see the vids! Laughing Seriously, I am curious to see if the links you have are the same as some I came across while I was looking for information to answer your trivia question Val. Since you thought of it, you get to go first!! Wink If they're NOT the same then I'll add another link to some cool footage I came across tonight. Cool (I'll have to check in the morning, though, must eat then sleep......zzzzzzzzzzzz Arrow
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmmmmm! They may be the same ones. Very Happy Wink Hopefully not - because then I will be in for a treat - getting to see the vids you came across! Any chance you came across those links while checking out Redlist.org? Twisted Evil

Well here's that tiger trivia question again: Sounds like there may be double the amount of "eye-candy" posted after the right answer gets posted! It IS almost trick-or-treat time! Laughing

Trivia Question re China's Tigers:

hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HEHE Hey val i was looking for the answer last night but got sidetracked so ill go and have another look now. Then come back and give you the answers i hope LOL

Ok val here are your answers....These are the 3 subspecies of tiger in china.

This is what i found....
China is unique among tiger range countries because four of the surviving tiger subspecies at one time lived within its borders.
The Siberian tiger in the far northeast bordering Russia and North Korea; the South China tiger (which is considered the evolutionary antecedent of all tigers) in the central parts of China; and the Indochinese and Bengal tigers in the far south bordering Vietnam, Lao PDR, Myanmar, and Assam (India). The tiger is a favorite subject of Chinese artists, depicted as fierce and powerful.

These are the ones china has now...

Siberian tiger

The Siberian or amur tiger can be found in uninhabited mountain forests of the Amur Basin to Siberia, and live primarily in coniferous, scrub oak, and birch woodlands of eastern Russia, with a few tigers found in northeastern China and northern North Korea.

South China Tiger

The South China Tiger is the most Critically Endangered (IUCN) of all of the living tiger subspecies. Considered by many experts as the "Stem" tiger. The subspecies in which all other tigers may have evolved from! Wild populations are less then 30 animals. In addition to wild populations, about 50 individuals live in zoos, all located with-in China. Unfortunitly all of these animals were decentants of only six "Founder Animals". As a result, very limited genetic diversity exists for a captive breading program.
Also known as the Amoy Tiger.
- Also known as the Chinese Tiger.
- Most endangered of the tiger subspecies.
- Considered to be the evolutionary ancestor of all tiger.
- The only zoo's that have this tiger are in China.

Indo-chinese tiger

Also known as the corbetts or malayan tiger..
They are presently located across southern China, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand and eastern Myanmar (Burma). Most of their habitat is made up of remote forests with hilly or mountainous terrain.

There you go and here is the link to the website...some very interesting facts there..also mentions african tigers but as we all know they dont come from africa.

http://www.indiantiger.org/tigers-around-the-globe/indo-chinese-tiger.html

You can also find the answers right here at tigerhomes to...
http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/siberian_info.cfm
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D. H. Lawrence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
wow great post hazel o triva i like to play that when i know the answar he he i no a lot about animals he he Razz
tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hehe, yep was gonna say that you can find it on tigerhomes (answered a question like this a while back when i first joined so was gonna let someone else get it Smile) hehe always checkhere first Smile
So stand in the rain Stand your ground Stand up when it's all crashing down You stand through the pain You won't drown And one day, whats lost can be found You stand in the rain ~Superchic[k]~-~Stand in the Rain~
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Your Favorite Sanctuary Tigers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: