Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Princess & King
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> King of the Jungle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Bundy funny Reply with quote
Hey, thanks guys, I needed the grin. Seriously, now, I am wondering just how alike the large cats are in comparison to our little domesticated friends.....does ovulation in the larger cats require the same stimulus (the "owie" from a spiny you-know-what) as the house cats? Just wondering....... Embarassed Oh, and while I'm at it.....are any of your cats at TH fertile?
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Education Center Reply with quote
Surprised Now WHY didn't I think of checking there?? Embarassed And it is absolutely true about the wealth of info that D & J have stuffed here and there into this entire site. Has anyone else seen Princess mount King???
GrrreatCats
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Romance Reply with quote
When I worked at a zoo there was a 10 year old male lion and two female. I never noticed 'Duke' paying any attention to his wives....just his food and napping. He did have twin cubs and I had to wonder how he got them..........
tmoney
Fruit Fly
Fruit Fly

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The most amazing thing that I have ever experienced in my life (being just a boring Boston girl) is watching King come walking towards me with the head and mane the size of the building I work in. Then to actually touch that animal gave me the most humbling feeling. The roar is better than Metallica! Mr. Green

King without a doubt. This is not to take away from the tigers in any way. Every big cat has it's presence and personality. But lions are truly Kings.

(King and Princess are so cute together! That's true love)
cnickell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Females Actually are the Queens!! Reply with quote
While Humans have given the majestic males such honor the females actually "own" the prides. When new males come into a pride, there can be very different responses. There is no pat standard responses. However there is a consistent theme, the males must be appealing to the females to be able to stay. That is, they have to "act nice" to continue to be part of the existing pride. This is especially true when there are older females (grandmothers, mothers, aunts) in the pride.
If new males do not appeal to the females they can be "told" to leave and the former male will come back who is usually hanging around on the outer edges of the territory. There can also be division in a pride with some females wanting the males to stay and others wanting the former males to come back to the pride. Thus, some females will leave to be with the former males forming a new pride. Like any culture there is no set ways with different personalities and different reactions.
Females within a pride do the majority of the work taking care and raising the young, hunting as well as (unfortunately *sigh*) engaging the males in helping them especially hunting large game like water buffalo.
Carol Nickell
Charlotte NC
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Lion society Reply with quote
WOW! That is a very interesting read. The intricate manner in which different species interact with each other is fascinating, is it not? Thanks for the info, I found it fascinating. Exclamation Idea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
can you say we have another Nerd in the forum ??? Good Job !!!
John Man
Dung Beetle
Dung Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Females Actually are the Queens!! Reply with quote
cnickell wrote:
While Humans have given the majestic males such honor the females actually "own" the prides. When new males come into a pride, there can be very different responses. There is no pat standard responses. However there is a consistent theme, the males must be appealing to the females to be able to stay. That is, they have to "act nice" to continue to be part of the existing pride. This is especially true when there are older females (grandmothers, mothers, aunts) in the pride.
If new males do not appeal to the females they can be "told" to leave and the former male will come back who is usually hanging around on the outer edges of the territory. There can also be division in a pride with some females wanting the males to stay and others wanting the former males to come back to the pride. Thus, some females will leave to be with the former males forming a new pride. Like any culture there is no set ways with different personalities and different reactions.
Females within a pride do the majority of the work taking care and raising the young, hunting as well as (unfortunately *sigh*) engaging the males in helping them especially hunting large game like water buffalo.
Carol Nickell
Charlotte NC

Very interesting!!!....Thanks for sharing that with us! Very Happy
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Snapshot story Reply with quote
Thanks, ACE. I was a happy-camper when I snapped that one! Was in such a hurry to post it that it didn't even get bordered--haha Exclamation Princess and King stayed right by that one cam for a while and I was snapping pictures as fast as I could.....thanks to Dave Exclamation ....they were hanging out because he was preparing to go into the enclosure to work, I believe, which made for lots of action.

And how about those two pics of King stretched full-out up the trees? How many feet up the tree do you think those claws reach? Cool stuff.
^^^'s for that lemur face, too, ACE. Every time I think you've just gotten the BEST lemur close up ever....you best yourself!

I'm with you, Guest! I love all the pictures of the cats too! Along with every single 'snapshot' pic I've ever taken from the TH cams....the good, the bad and the ugly I love all my pics! (WHO'S A NERD?) Laughing

Afterthought: Which stars are we gazing at, 1FAN? Haha
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would say more like 10' to 12' tops Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation I was out in the yard and saw him doing that and ran in the house to take that snap shot ! hehe Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would never stage anything like that Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: CITES Reply with quote
Hey, ACE......wanna say a big THANKS! for that extremely informative post. This CITES 'pow-wow' is VERY IMPORTANT to the future of so many species and is something to pay attention to. Many issues are up for determinations and I will be keeping an eye on happenings there.
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
God what a NERD you are ACE #1 !!! We got to LOVE you that for sure Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Matter of fact we have many NERDS in this forum and I have decided you all deserve the NERD crown so ware it PROUDLY Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
maxcat
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never thought I'd be a NERD but WOW, crowns for everyone, that's awesome. I'm wearing mine now but the people at work are looking at me funny Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: KING Reply with quote
The Lions and the Goldens just went on vacation switching habitats Shocked
See that's how Dave gets to be KING NERD..
What a cool treat for them and for us Exclamation Laughing Exclamation Cool Exclamation
Ace
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> King of the Jungle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: