Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Reintroducing Captive Tigers into the Wild
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suack
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cant even reply to what you say dave as there attitude Animal Planet ect leaves me speechless as places like yours should come first in there proritys to help Mad Mad Mad
hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thx for the info becki.....
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D. H. Lawrence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
trust me J and I have filmed and worked and had our webcams on all 3 of their sites for a couple of years (which they never onces triedtohelp us) and all our friends have done stuff for them so I know first hand all about them ! I have had their number one people staying here at the house including their top editors a few times matter of fact our DVDs were edited by their people on the sly and was filmed by one of their top producers which is a good friend of J and I so I do know a little more about them then most people ! I have had letters sent back and fourth from the VP of discovery to us and visa a versa !

But yes their show are good !!! hehe !!! But they don't do that much for me anymore !!! SORRY !!! And yes the show are great for our kids but about time our kids grow up their will be no Tigers no Cheetchs and even the Lions are in trouble just to name a few that need help right now not help from our KIDS twenty years from now and that where they should be putting their efforts also !!!

that my story and I am sticking to it !!! LOL !!!!

when was the last time discovery took MILLION dollars and donated it lets say the TIGER FUND for example !!! That is what I am talking about !!! When have they come to the rescue of any Sanctuary and gave a donation to help it out ? When have they tried to put a stop to all the poaching of the tigers that is going on right now ? Do they have the money to do something like that ? They should be the leaders of the animals world and take every dime they make from their shows and be OUT OF CONTROL and be really making a difference !!!

This is all very simple to me !!!

hey just trying to stir things up again !!! hehe !!! That my job to get you guys thinking and looking things up and at the same time we will all be learning something because that is the bottom line teaching is VERY important but is it enough ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tigerallied

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
eaven if I preferd the thoth that all of animal planet's team is totaly dedicated to protecting animals I have to admit that Dave is right,
I don't know, but here (on my national televison)I saw a show (once) in wich they brought a man whit I don't know what healt problems and teling us wiuers to help him, anyway they raisd the money for what he need it, but I found later (this I found from someone ho workd there) on that they made double the money they need out of comercials, money which got to someone's bank acount ho didin't give a @@@@ on the sick man,
I hope AP gives al least half of the're incomes back to the animals and that they are not just doing just a "freak show" Sad

BTW I give up whaching televison
tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another great post and point Dave as always stirring something up making me think after getting home from school Smile
So stand in the rain Stand your ground Stand up when it's all crashing down You stand through the pain You won't drown And one day, whats lost can be found You stand in the rain ~Superchic[k]~-~Stand in the Rain~
suack
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems sometimes the bigger or more powerful the more mean and deceitful things can be
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You said it right there,Sue!!! That is what it's all about right there. If you have the money and the power, you can usually do just about anything and alot of the times it is used to do things that aren't even worth doing or just downright wrong!!
Great post from TigerDave also!! He made many good points as ususal!! Another Gold star for you too!! Laughing
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That was a really interesting question about Animal Planet. Also - that is a lot to think about. I went on the web and found some of Animal Planet's contributions. Still thinking on the things Dave said. . .

Here's what I found so far:

They donated $10,000 apiece to 6 animal conservation centers in connection with the hour-long special, Lyndal’s $70K Lifeline Challenge.

"The show then invited its viewers to vote via the channel’s websites and mobile phone text messaging in select markets to decide which conservation centre most deserved an additional $10,000."

http://www.c21media.net/resources/detail.asp?area=100&article=26515

They made a $5000 donation to Pets Alive's Retirement Home for Carriage Horses (a horse santuary).

http://www.petsalive.com/trailmix.htm

They visited the Navajo Nation to do free spays & neuters:

http://www.desertanimalcompanions.org/anplanet.html

Some interesting notes from this article:

"Animal Planet and the American Humane Association are also helping the Navajo Nation Veterinary Program with education on the proper care of an animal. The Navajo Veterinary & Livestock Program along with the Spay Neuter Assistance Program and Remote Area Medical -- Veterinary services have aggressively addressed the people education issues. The goal is to make good pet owners of people on the reservation and to put an end to animal cruelty, abuse and neglect on the Navajo Nation. There is a strong link between violence against animals and violence against humans. Navajo Nation Animal Control officers maintain that homes that mistreat animals usually have some abuse or neglect happening to children or elders inside the homes. The correlation is so strong that some states require animal abusers to seek counseling in an effort to prevent violence against humans. Studies show that repeat violent offenders usually start their violent behaviors by hurting animals. Glenda Davis has a lot invested in stopping these cycles of violence.

"It's important to teach our youngsters compassion, responsibility and respect for all living things. Giving them the skills to be good pet owners does much to make them good citizens. Kids that learn to love animals usually turn out to be good to other people and good members of society."

Their parent company (Discovery Networks) and Comcast presented a check to Indianapolis Animal Care & Control at the Animal Planet Expo, in which Animal Planet & Comcast teamed up to offer the free event.

http://www.indygov.org/eGov/City/DPS/ACCD/PR/2004/04-07-30.htm

"INDIANAPOLIS – Due to the tremendous effort made by Indianapolis Animal Care & Control to raise the awareness of animal related issues in and around the city of Indianapolis, a check will be presented to the shelter by Comcast® and Discovery Networks, during the Animal Planet Expo, for its outstanding work."

Still thinking on Dave's question... All of these things gave Animal Planet more public exposure and/or was done in connection with either something they were filiming. I do wonder whether they make donations to help people where there is no direct benefit to them - and just because it is the right thing to do! Question

(Nuts! Confused In trying to answer Dave's questions - I'm coming up with more questions...)

hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey thankyou so much for that val...ive been trying to find something on this but co far come up with nothing...so they do donate something but like you say are they doin it out of kindness of their hearts or are they doin it to get more viewers..mmmmmm

About the abused animals..that is right in most cases if they are abusing there animals more then likely its happenin to the kids too and that just is terrible...these people are just abusive to everyone around them...or they start with the animals and it goes on from there. That is just awful and makes me sick you know.

These kind of people dont care about anything so why have animals or children in the first place..they should be banned from having either.
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D. H. Lawrence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
well you will find out that i am right !!! hehe !!! But good job with the research so far but even with that it is still very little considering RIGHT ?

and yes TV rattings !!! hehe !!!

Don't get me wrong we do need these show and they do educate and we lean so much but my point is they could do so much more with the money they make don't you think ? we need to keep looking into this so we all can learn and know what's up !!!

Now if you check out National Geog. you will see the list of contribution and research and funding is off the CHARTS i bet !

This is so interesting !!!

Play-Doh-Baby
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Checking out National Geographic! I really like what I've found out so far...

They are a not-for-profit organization on a HUGE mission:

Here's their Mission Statement:

"The National Geographic Society is one of the world's largest nonprofit scientific and educational institutions. Its mission is to increase and diffuse geographic knowledge while promoting the conservation of the world's cultural, historical, and natural resources. The National Geographic Society is a 501(c)(3), tax-exempt organization.

We aim to be the world's leading not-for-profit institution advancing the knowledge and appreciation of cultures and of the interrelationship between human aspirations and our planet's natural and cultural resources."

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/donate/

Some examples of what they do with their funds:

In Kenya, for example, we fund scientists who preserve wild lion populations. These conservation heroes are helping farmers find effective ways to protect their livestock without resorting to killing lions.

Our Center for Sustainable Destinations initiative supports tourism that preserves the geographical character of travel destinations. We encourage conservation-minded development by cosponsoring, with Conservation International, the World Legacy Awards. The program rewards leaders in the tourism industry who protect our planet's natural and cultural heritage.

Committee for Research and Exploration (CRE):

"Nearly half of all Committee for Research and Exploration (CRE) grants go to projects within the biology discipline. Among our biology grantees are such respected names as Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey—and the list keeps growing."

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/research/biology.html

Check out some of the projects fundeed by this Committee:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/research/grant_application.html

Grant Amounts
While grant amounts vary greatly, most range from U.S. $15,000 to $20,000. There is no set quantity of grants awarded, but budget constraints keep the number to approximately 250 per year.

Here's a list of fields of study that the Committe for Research & Exploration Supports:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/research/fields.html

P.S. These guys are serious! Gotta find out more - but this post is already too long! The King Nerd sure knows how to get us thinking! Wink Very Happy

BarbaraJ
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: National Geographic Reply with quote
I've been getting their magazine for many years and every issue is wonderful. A recent issue was all about Africa was beyond words. I can spend hours on their website looking at videos, photos, researching things, desktop wallpapers and on and on. They are a wonderful organization. Oh, don't forget the Pete's Pond cam they have going on right now. Exclamation

Your research, Val, is amazing. You go, girl Exclamation
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
tigerdave wrote:
Of course so what did that show tell us ??? that tigers can be released back in the wild !!! thanks for telling me that !!! hehe !!!! And that you can take food away from a hungry tiger to show it who the BOSS !!! hehe !!!

Just stiring it up a little !!! LOL !!!

You certainly got me stirred up! I did some follow-up on releasing tigers back to the wild - and the below site laid out 3 pages with some good issues for consideration.

It seems that just because we CAN release them back into the wild - doesn't necessarily mean we SHOULD (at least not without a very carefully laid out plan - and it could take years & years to do so effectively! Tigers don't have years & years for us to help them!)

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/release.html

Among the possible problems the article detailed:

1) They don't know how to socialize with the tigers they may meet up with in the wild. Tigers are seriously territorial and have HUGE territiries! Their meeting up with a current resident tiger might sound something like this in "human-speak":

Released Tiger: "Hi - I'm new here and so happy to be back in the wild! What's new?"

Resident Tiger: "Step-off pal! You should be RUNNING! I was here first! Leave now or suffer the consequences!"

2) The released tigers wouldn't be as skilled in combat as the ones already out there. If a fight ensued - the released tiger would likely be no match for a peer its own size - and may even be killed!

3) Things could get hard for the released tigers, trying to compete for food - and so they may go to easier methods of survival, rather than competing with their wild brothers - killing livestock and other domestic animals - and then they may end up on the business end of a frustrated farmer's gun!

4) Frustrated & hungry - they may start eating PEOPLE!

An interesting note from the article concerning hunting (EVEN if they initially do a good job at first!):

"Cubs that have not learnt essential hunting techniques would simply starve if put back into the wild. Killing efficiently is an art learnt over approximately 18 months. Untaught it does not come naturally and an attempt to disable and kill prey without any prior experience would very probably result in great injury. By expending large amounts of time on each individual, and at prohibitive costs, it may be possible to teach this skill to a limited extent. Any tiger taught in this manner would carry a very high risk of turning man-eater and would need some years of artificial food provided to survive."

kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Releasing captive animals into the wild Reply with quote
Quote from Val's post:
Quote:
"Cubs that have not learnt essential hunting techniques would simply starve if put back into the wild. Killing efficiently is an art learnt over approximately 18 months. Untaught it does not come naturally and an attempt to disable and kill prey without any prior experience would very probably result in great injury. By expending large amounts of time on each individual, and at prohibitive costs, it may be possible to teach this skill to a limited extent. Any tiger taught in this manner would carry a very high risk of turning man-eater and would need some years of artificial food provided to survive."

That is a great post and it had many good points for not releasing them back into the wild. Chances are that if they are released and not harmed by other animals in the wild, they would be harmed by humans theirselves such as the poachers. Rarely a good idea, but that's my opinion. Great post as always...Sista def got her NERD on..hehe... Laughing
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i don't beleave that for one minute !!! hehe !!! I know for a fact I could put a live deer in with any of the tigers or lions and they would kill it and eat it right then and there until their bellys are so full !!!

that my story and i am sticking with it !!! hehe !!!

And let me ask this qoestion how many tigers has anyone try to release back in the wild for them to say it would not work ???
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: