Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Reintroducing Captive Tigers into the Wild
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reintroducing Captive Tigers into the Wild Reply with quote
Dave Salmoni

"Dave is a big-cat trainer and zoologist, but his expertise extends beyond the realm of lions and tigers to include a variety of wild animals. He has worked with wildlife in Africa, and his research has encouraged breeding programs for endangered species in zoos around the world. He specializes in returning captive-bred animals to the wild, teaching them hunting and survival skills. He has appeared in many television programs as an authority on big cats, including Discovery's Living With Tigers."

Here's a link to Living with Tigers.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tigers/tigers.html

This page starts discussing the project involving returning captive-bred animals to the wild:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tigers/help/help.html

Here is what some opponents of the project were saying:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tigers/voices/voices.html

A penny for your thoughts?

hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey val i have seen this programme the other week before i found this website...it was another reason i found it actually because i was looking for something on that.....I think its a wonderful thing they are doing with ron and julie the two tigers and the programme really inspired me...just to realease them back into the wild would be the greatest achievement,but the question on everyones lips is can tigers survive in africa....well the tiger ranges from all parts..from very hot climates to the very cold climates so why not. Theres been lots of arguments over this,everyones got different opinions on the subject, so we will all just have to wait and see.
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D. H. Lawrence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
thats kool val
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Way to go My Sista! Great post as always! Hey, them gold stars are really adding up for you,girl! hehe! Great job!! Laughing
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Salmoni Tigers Reply with quote
I, too, saw that documentary sometime last year (??--long time, anyway). I was soooo impressed with what they were doing. Training two captive bred tigers to be wild. It was fascinating and SUCCESSFUL! Evidenced by the 'spree' the pair of them went on, taking down everything in sight for the sheer thrill of the hunt. (Something RARELY observed in Tigers) Now there are people who object on the basis that Tigers are not 'natural' inhabitants of Africa. True, but if they 'settled' there I am sure there is no reason why they wouldn't flourish. But what sort of long-term impact would there be to the native populations and balances? That is the big question. Initially the project was to be totally fenced in..........a HUGE area! Not sure what progress has been made. Whoops! Guess I'll go have a read to see if there is new info (should have done that BEFORE I typed all this in, ya think?-haha)

Thoughts? Dave Salmoni definately has 'the touch' when it comes to relating to these awe-inspiring felines.
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just remember this and i will only say this once ! That was film the got edited and it did not show some of the attacks that happen to David Solomi when those tigers got mad at him !!!! Our friend from discovery did some of the editing for that so we know first hand it did not go smoothly !!! hehe !!! Like taking the food away from a tiger !!! PLEASES !!! LOL !!! Got to remember that was almost a 2 year project that got edited to what we saw on TV !!! hehe !!! And from what I know that project is now on hold NOW !!! And of course tigers would survive and if you don't think so don't feed your house cat and see if it will find a way to kill something and eat it !!! And tigers are not house cats !!!

That my story and i am sticking with it !!! hehe !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hehe! You are silly! Yeah, they never tell you about that part! Just like with Steve Irwin, the Croc guy, you know he's been "snapped" plenty of times! That is one Crazy Australian guy, but I love watching him! Laughing
tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea we never get the full story... and Steve Irwin is hilarious. Smile
So stand in the rain Stand your ground Stand up when it's all crashing down You stand through the pain You won't drown And one day, whats lost can be found You stand in the rain ~Superchic[k]~-~Stand in the Rain~
hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeh that is a good point dave..hey when i was watching the part when he was taking the food away..believe me i was on the edge of my seat with my heart in my mouth...That david salmoni is one brave guy Very Happy

D. H. Lawrence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
well that part to me was so stupid and made no sence at all !!! And guess what he got in trouble a few times for that one shot !!! Jason and i were able to see some of the unedited stuff and trust me they had LOTS of problems with those tigers but lucky they were young tigers !!! hehe !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh yes i can see that point..i can just imagine you takin loki or tundras meat away...yeh rite Very Happy I can imagine they did have lots of problems...i mean the guy was takin the food to show them who was boss and to keep control...but hey who would argue with a 200lb tiger, i know i wouldnt.

D. H. Lawrence
hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok add another couple of hundred pounds to that..my how did i get that wrong...must be gettin late Very Happy

D. H. Lawrence
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hehe !!! yes and no one in control of a TIGER how stupid that sounded coming out of his mouth !!! That was one of the parts of the film I personally thought was wrong and should never been shown !!! But there is no question he and his people are awesome !!!! But I did not agree with some of their stunts and did find most of it a little to much and way to dangerous for their own good !!! But that just me !!!

And they went to allot of trouble to show a tiger can kill live food where everyone should already know that answer !!! THEY ARE TIGER and it does not matter they will hunt and kill and eat which would make them easy to release back in the wild with very little effort !!! MY GOD THEY ARE TIGERS the biggest baddest preditors on our planet !!! hehe !!!

Now this is just my opinion and I am sticking to it !!! hehe !!! And of course I do like stiring things up just a bit !!! hehe !!!
tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dave, you know we love your opinions because they are always good opinions. Smile And I agree with you on that... we know they're tigers and they can hunt...
So stand in the rain Stand your ground Stand up when it's all crashing down You stand through the pain You won't drown And one day, whats lost can be found You stand in the rain ~Superchic[k]~-~Stand in the Rain~
cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OMG are you talking about steve irwin i love him he is so funny lol
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: