Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

King of Beasts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> King of the Jungle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cKc
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Certainly does look like a coconut, who have thunked he'd like to munch on them what with being a carnivore. Doesn't bare thinking how sharp those teeth must be to get through that shell.

Here's a lovely snap i got of Princess posing for the camera.

Barbarylion
Golden Tiger
Golden Tiger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I learned something very interesting about lions mating at the bottom of this link.

http://www.catcollection.org/cat/lion/

Barbary Lion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
keykey
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is very interesting Barbarylion, I also learned something very interesting about lions mating. Shocked Very Happy
Thanks for sharing it with us.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Barbarylion
Golden Tiger
Golden Tiger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am always studing cats mating saving pictures and videos I come across which I use to study The Cat collection Website is one of my favorites to learn about cats Mateing.

Barbary Lion
snowlady444
King of the Jungle
King of the Jungle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got a great picture of Princess checking out the cam that I wanted to share! Shocked

Arrow http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/9201/2gyuyog1.jpg

And one good close-up!

Arrow http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7783/2fhkupjy0.jpg

I just love it when they do things like that!
SnowLady444
keykey
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
These are so AWESOME snow! Very Happy
Me 2... I just love it when they do things like that as well! Very Happy Razz Cool
Thanks for sharing them with us.

vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those are both FABULOUS!

I love the direct stare into the camera.
You can almost smell the "lioness breath." LOL Laughing Cool

Isis993366
Panther
Panther

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laughing @ the picture of her staring right into the camera. Its like shes trying to tell us peek-a-boo i see you too.
suack
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great close up shots of Princess there snowlady its not often that you can catch the Princess that near to actually look that close into her eye is magical and it shows that at Tigerhomes this sort of thing is to be treasured it would be just criminal if Dave had to be forced to close the webcams down due to lack of funds your pictures just go to show what sort of thing will be missed Sad Sad
Barbarylion
Golden Tiger
Golden Tiger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Male Lions great each other by mouthing each other legs where they bite their legs where they sink their teeth to the boneand they also great humans that way which some people would think that the lionis attacking.

Barbary Lion
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Male Lions' Greeting Rituals - Lion Behavior Reply with quote
Quote:
where they bite their legs where they sink their teeth to the bone. . .

Shocked OK! I'm curious about that. Do you mind sharing the source of that information? I went off on a brief cyber-safari to see if I could find this information, but no luck yet-- Is this just a very strong grip with the teeth on the other male's leg, done without puncturing the other animal? It seems to me that drawing blood would be a real no-no!

What I did learn is that lions are very physical when it comes to greetings & communication. According to Lioncrusher Domain, this is due to their being the most social of the big cats. Some of the comments from that website are below. While it is a good website to nerd on, I don't really see it as one of the most authoritative sources, so I need to find more. Lots more nerding to do on this subject.

Quote:
Body language is equally important. Lions all look pretty much the same, and except for minor blemishes, it is hard to tell two lions apart, especially lionesses. The lions have a hard time with this as well. So it is important for lions to have an air of confidence when greeting other members of her pride. If she shows even the slightest bit of apprehension when greeting another lioness, the other lioness may feel threatened, think this lion is a strange lion, and will attack. Lions have a complex greeting ceremony, in which the lions moan softly to one another, swing their heads from side to side, and have their tails raised high, which often is draped over the other lion's back. Similar to other cats, lions also head-butt when greeting. Social licking of the head, shoulders, and neck is also a sign of affection. Lions, just like other wild cats, have black ears with large white circles on the backs. The purpose of these large white circles is to indicate mood. When they are angry, lions and other carnivores lay their ears flat against their head. It would be hard to tell if a cat was angry from a distance, but if you see the flashing white circles, you can tell from a distance that the cat is mad, and know not to come near. Thus, a lot of fights are avoided.

http://www.lioncrusher.com/animal.asp?animal=59

Other fellow nerdlings? Anyone know anything about this subject?
Barbarylion
Golden Tiger
Golden Tiger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry I miss read one part.
here is what I read it turns out it is a trait that is a playful activity not a greeting and some other information I found on Lions.

Quote:
Lions also possess a trait that can be very dangerous to the unaware or the unfocused human. When lions greet each other in their natural environment, one of the playful activities they engage in involves mouthing the other lion?s legs. So, they will frequently choose to do so with their human friends. Unfortunately what seems affectionate to the lion might mean a fang going through the skin all the way to the bone on a human. Many of the videos one sees of supposed lion attacks are often this mouthing activity taken to extreme or an unexpected reaction from the human trainer that then turns to aggression on the part of the lion. A number of big cat trainers hate working with lions because they aren?t quite in tune with some of the instinctual play activities normal to lions. Male lions are also inherently very pushy, and they enjoy pushing a human friend around or moving him/her around at will. Therefore, if one is to work with a lion, boundaries must be established, and the lion better respect the human and desire to modify its behavior in order to please its human friend. Otherwise, it will be a rather unpleasant interaction.

Here is where I got my information from.

http://louisdorfman.com/lions.htm

Barbary Lion
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Male Lions great each other by mouthing each other legs where they bite their legs where they sink their teeth to the boneand they also great humans that way which some people would think that the lionis attacking

Hmm....I don't guess Kitty is allowed to make a joke about that one? Shocked Okay, Okay, I won't...........this time! Wink Laughing
Great info, Barbary! Like sis, I'm gone to do some nerding on that one..... Laughing

**Wonders to self if King has ever greeted Playdoh baby like that? Shocked Shocked **
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Lions also possess a trait that can be very dangerous to the unaware or the unfocused human. When lions greet each other in their natural environment, one of the playful activities they engage in involves mouthing the other lion?s legs.

BAD Kitty Laughing *Whips out spray bottle filled with cold water, takes aim ... fires and shorts out own computer keyboard! Confused * That'll learn ya! Twisted Evil

Barbarylion - OK - THAT makes way more sense Exclamation BTW my housecat (sorry about the housecat comparison!) likes to mouth my hand or arm if he can't get my attention any other way. One morning I was sleeping rather soundly, he became frustrated and sunk his wee fangs into the palm of my hand... He was sorry when he heard me yell, but he's a cat & RESULTS are most important to him! He's the only cat I've had that did it. But I actually can feel his teeth on my hand when he does this -- but he's very gentle.

Thanks for clearing that up!

V Very Happy
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone on right now, you can check out lion cam 1. Our "Princess" is posing right in front of cam! What a sweetie! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> King of the Jungle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: