Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

King of Beasts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> King of the Jungle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: King of Beasts Reply with quote
There was an interesting discussion of why the lion is called the "King of Beasts" on the "Earth & Sky Radio Series." A listener wrote in with a question - "Why are lions sometimes called 'the king of beasts'?"

I've wondered that myself. King's regal face is just killer! That fabulous flowing mane - and powerful build! What a looker!

Here's part of that discussion:

JB: This is Earth and Sky, with a listener's question. He writes, "Why are lions sometimes called 'the king of beasts'?"

DB: People have made this association for a couple of thousand years at least. But lions are not the biggest of animals -- and they're not the strongest. A lion would fit into the mouth of a blue whale. And, even among cats, the tiger is more powerful than the lion.

JB: Adult male lions look regal, with flowing manes framing their faces. Not only does this long, thick fur soften an enemy's blows, it also makes a lion's head look bigger -- perhaps giving it an appearance of being "crowned." The lion's roar is impressive, too. Lions roar to define their territory -- and the thundering sound can be heard from several kilometers away.

DB: And some might say that a lion lives a life "fit for a king." Lions typically sleep for about 20 hours a day. Unless it's provoked, a lion's leisure is usually only interrupted by the hunt for food -- most often, a zebra or wildebeest. After a fierce battle, lions will feast until full -- sometimes eating up to 75 pounds of meat at one meal!

JB: And here's another way lions are king -- they're pretty much at the top of the food chain in the plains of Africa where most of the wild lions live today. Ask us your science question on our website at earthsky.org. With thanks to the National Science Foundation, we're Block and Byrd for Earth and Sky.

http://www.earthsky.com/shows/show.php?date=20020924

Lions have also been referred to as King of the Jungle:

Hmmmmm! Whether the lion should be crowned King of the Jungle is a tricky question! Twisted Evil Lions live in the plains where they blend in well. Now I'm wondering who really IS the king of the jungle?

The author of the article notes:

"Sometimes the lion is referred to as the 'king of the jungle,' which is incorrect, since lions have never lived in the jungle. They currently live mostly in Africa south of the Sahara, like in the Serengeti. They prefer grasslands and savanna. This misnomer may stem from the misguided idea that Africa's climate and landscape are mostly "jungle"-like. "

Some other reasons the lion is associated with being royal...

"There are records as far back as 1375 B.C. linking the Egyptian pharaoh Amenhotep III with the symbol of the lion.

Lions are also among the most social of animals. They typically live in groups known as prides which on average consist of 7 adult females and 2 adult males and a variable number of cubs. When a male reaches about 2 or 3 years of age, he's driven from the pride by the other males. He must then challenge the males of other prides. If he wins, he takes over the position in the pride and gains access to the pride's lionesses. This behavior may also enhance the historical association between lions and royalty."

Even the Bible talks about the "Lion of the Tribe of Judah." They have long been held as a symbol of strength and majesty! While they let the lionesses do most of the hunting and they sleep alot (a good life for a King) - just let another animal (or lion) mess with the pride! The king springs into action with his deadly arsenal! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Long live the King!

kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another great one, Val! I'm sure Dave can tell us all about the roar of a lion! hehe! I've always heard that too! Great post! Laughing
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I intend to hear a lion up close - but not TOO PERSONAL in a few days! Wink

I was at the zoo a few years ago around feeding time and a male lion started singing for his supper! So did a tiger! Wow!

Our firm picnic is at the National Zoo - so you know I'll be sneaking off to check out animals. While zoos generally don't thrill me - animals always will!!! I wonder how the zoo will look to me after spending time in this awesome forum with the Animal Nerds?

Hopefully they STILL HAVE LIONS Twisted Evil Exclamation If they do - I'll be standing there waiting for them to make their beautiful noises! Smile

Long live the King!

tigerfreak99
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hehe, I remember this one.
Quote:
And, even among cats, the tiger is more powerful than the lion.

Someone a while back asked this question I honestly can't remember who, which would win the lion or the tiger? And someone (again I can't remember) replied, although the tiger is bigger length wise, the lions head is much bigger. (or something along those lines.
So stand in the rain Stand your ground Stand up when it's all crashing down You stand through the pain You won't drown And one day, whats lost can be found You stand in the rain ~Superchic[k]~-~Stand in the Rain~
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tigerfreak - I remember that too! Can't rember who said it though. You got my curiousity up though and I googled it on the web. That is a topic of much discussion on many of the forums I came across.

Animal Planet did an Animal Face-Off series. They included the lion vs. tiger and I believe the lion won! Not sure! Confused

cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw the animal face-off too i saw the rhino and the elephant and the elephants won
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Part of my response is J's fault! He got us nerding on taxonomies! It was mind-boggling - but absoloutely fascinating! So - You gotta check out the taxonomy for the lion, tiger and leopard at the site below. Taxonomies are cool! Cool

There is also a comparison of their weights on this site. Don't know if this is much help to your Lion vs. Tiger question - but it is really interesting to check out! (You wouldn't BELIEVE the number of heated debates on Lion v. Tiger that I ran across in other forums, just from googling Confused ).

Here are size comparisons in Housecats! (not kidding!) Laughing Laughing

Largest Tiger=100 House cats
Lion=57 House cats
Leopard=20 House cats

If you go by "housecats" - the Tiger wins! Twisted Evil

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/big.cat/bcfacts.htm

Here's some info. on the Lion's status: "African lion populations are currently safe in only a handful of large protected areas, their numbers are declining dramatically elsewhere."

A link to the article is below - explaining some of the reasons why! Crying or Very sad

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/big.cat/bcatnews011.shtml

We can't wipe out the lion too! What is with us humans! Argh!

Long Live the King!

Last edited by vlad on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great info,Val...I just went and checked out all the links and i was moved by the last one that has to do with the BornFree conservation unit to help stop the poaching..here are some quotes from one of the stories;

Quote:
Over half of Zimbabwe's wildlife has been destroyed in the past 2 years. It is devastation on an unprecedented scale.

Since the unit was deployed they have collected 1091 snares this year, a frightening figure, however taken in isolation this number is misleading. There is a definite positive downturn in the number of snares being found and collected

At least someone is trying, it will just take alot more than that to fix that problem though. We need to stop all the poaching period!!
suack
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just thought Id like to put this picture I found on a web site it is proof who is really the King of the Jungle

OR SHOULD IT BE QUEEN OF THE JUNGLE
HA HA HA

It just proves behind every great male is a female running things Laughing Laughing Laughing
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hehe! Great post,Sue..I'm sure there's probably some males out there what would disagree with that, but......that is another topic! hehe!
Ps-Couldn't see your pic, it may just be my pc but all I see is the box with the red x. Embarassed
suack
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
not again I put it on my blog first and it looked ok there but I suppose as soon as I moved it things changed the picture shows a male lion getting nagged my a female lion looked real funny ha ha
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hehe! No comment! Laughing Laughing
cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
he he me to no coment
suack
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey are you guys sure that there is no picture as from my end it looks fine this is getting really weird how come I can see it and nobody else can it was just a picture with no adds attached so what is happening Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Wink Wink Wink Wink
cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
he he i dont know really lol Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> King of the Jungle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: