Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Life in the Fast Lane - Cheetah Co-Existing with Man
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
don't get your hopes up to high for them right now they are all inbreeds and that is not good for them at all and there is only about 6000 left and that number is getting less every year !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, King Nerd! I hate to think of that - that seems to be the case. I just love the cheetah! Graceful poetry in motion. The thought that several generations from now, we can only see them in captivity breaks my heart. Crying or Very sad

I understand that they don't have a very diverse gene pool, as you said - and that man has contributed to that problem by greatly reducing their habitat, killing them off and by taking them captive! OUCH!

One thing that I came across a few weeks ago had to do with their finicky mating habits. In captivity, if a female has grown up with a male, even if he is not a sibling, she'll usually reject him for mating purposes. Is that their way of compensating for not having much diversity in their gene pool?

While some people have had success with captive breeding - the problem still remains - of their not being able to release the 1400 or so captive bred cheetahs back into the wild due to loss of habitat!

http://www.predatorconservation.com/cheetah.htm

SAD! SAD! Evil or Very Mad The truth hurts sometimes! But you tell it to us straight - and we appreciate that!

kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
BUT THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE....YOU JUST HAVE TO BELIEVE!! Smile
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is no hope for them in the next 10 years or so they will be almost completly gone !!! And we can thank humans for that !!!

thank you Humans !!! Crying or Very sad !!!

And they never ever hardly breed in captivity !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OHH NO THERE HAS TO BE SOME HOPE Confused
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OMG! 10 years! I was hoping they'd make it longer than that!

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is so sad too...Such an awesome animal and to think it will be gone. They should be the ones to outlive us, not the other way around.
cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
THEY ARE MY FAVORITE ANIMALS

i think i will try to help when i get older with the converations poor cheetahs
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheetahlover. I understand how you feel. That is the very first big cat to just blow my mind with its speed, grace and agility! When I first saw one running down dinner (I think I was pretty young, 9 or 10) - I NEVER fogot the thrill and the surprize I felt when I saw that thing take off at a mind-blurring speed!. And they have such sweet looking faces! Carnivorous predators that they are! Twisted Evil

Predators to livestock & a menace to some farmers - true. But they are one of natures many gifts - and if we wipe them out - I too, will mourn their loss greatly!

P.S. The National Zoo has a second litter of Cheetah cubs! I get to see them at the end of the week! Guess I'll have to say hi to everyone at the picnic - then sneak off for a CATFEST!!! Twisted Evil

cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OMG A LITTTER thats great Wink
hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Omg val your goin to the national zoo.....i have been watching the cheetahs on the cams sometimes when im not here which is not very often because im alwys here....well most of the time but i dont mind...I LOVE IT HERE.... Laughing
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D. H. Lawrence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, Hazel I've watched the cheetah cams some too and they are awesome for sure...Maybe Val can tell us if she got to see them when she went to the Zoo. Very interested to hear about it if she did. Laughing
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey There!

I DID get to go to the zoo! Don't get too excited about that place though! Definitely NOT the best zoo - but I went directly to Lion-Tiger Hill before even going to the picnic!

A huge male lion was putting on a show - calling out for din-din! He sounded so amazing! Nature's "music" rocks and this guy sang for his supper several times! I could not move! I'd waited several years to hear that! After the amazement wore off - I was teed off about the teensy exhibit that such a big lion & his companion were in! YET they are doing major construction on exhibits for more animals! I hope their plans include giving those lions better lives than they have now! Evil or Very Mad

The cheetahs weren't out when I went past their exhibit - but I plan on seeing them on the next beautiful day that I am not working! An office-mate got to see them and he was majorly excited!

What was really fun to watch were the three sumatran tiger cubs! Very Happy They are big now (around 200 lbs) - and really enjoy each others company! They play continuously. It is amazing that such a powerfully built animal can be so light on its feet! When they hop over each other - it seems effortless - and they land exactly where they mean to! Those tiger cubs have no problem letting each other know when play gets too rough or goes on too long! Their little tiffs are loud & fast - and it appeared no one got hurt that day! I think we all jumped when one got a well-deserved swat for being too playful. It was so quick & loud it startled us!

I will definitely let you know when I check out the Cheetahs. Other than that visit - it wil be awhile before I go back there!

The zoo is free - but seeing animals that are so obviously well-cared for on the TH CAMs has really messed me up! The contrast between the contentment level of the TIGERHOMES sanctuary animals & zoo animals is quite stark! Some of the zoo's big cats looked really bored & edgy!

It makes me think of the article about animals used for entertainment purposes! It mentioned that big cats do not like loud noises! There were folks calling out to the cats & playing animal sounds from the exhibits over & over! One kid was pulling leaves from bushes around the railing and chucking them towards the exhibit! Grrrrr! That HAS to get old for these animals!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: