Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Feeding time ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destiny
King Nerd
King Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sorry to hear that kitty. It is very aggrivating. But I could go on for days about doctors. I don't believe in them very much. It is true what they say about doctors ;practicing medicine', because that is exactly waht the are doing! They don't know everything like they seem to think. I have a problem with my thumb and went to see a doctor and he told me it was something else...and he is WRONG! I gave him every question in the world I could think of asking HOW he KNEW it was exima (sp) and how is it different from fungus, and basically he said because i'm the doctor, that's why. Nevermind that, I could go on and on, I just think there are a lot of doctors that suck at their job. They may be able to put some stitches in, WE could probably do THAT if we had to! And making patients WAIT and WAIT and WAIT. That's bull! I am sorry you and your step-dad have to wait on these stinking doctors!

Stupidity can be a fatal mistake!

Destiny
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is ok. I was just worried because you were being so quiet and was hopeing nothing was wrong. Hey I am basically in a good mood, just chilling to the Eagles again! I listen to them when I'm alittle down, but I'm not in here to bring everyone else down that is for sure! I appreciate you all & so glad we've all gotten to know eachother! Hey, I'm still down for the TH reunion next year! hehe! Cool
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry Alex, it won't happen again! Thanks! And to STAY ON TOPIC, Dave you still owe me one! Wink
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Several years ago I was at the National Zoo in the evening and the lions and tigers got really vocal. One tiger saw a man holding a baby - and you could see the big cat trying to figure out how to get across the moat. HUNGRY cat! It was really scary - and drove the point home in my mind that these cats are hard-wired to catch, kill & eat Exclamation

I also saw a HUGE white tiger calling out for about 5 minutes. Next he went to the door leading to the inside of his enclosure - raised his body up and looked in the window Exclamation That tiger was much taller than me stretched up like that. I tried to imagine how he'd take missing a day of food - although I do undertand that it is good for them to do that occasionally.

Clarence is such a big boy! So big kitties get fasted occasionally . . . I was wondering how often the big cats get fasted - and do they get a little testy on "fast" days Question Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/siberian.cfm

Quote:
... part of normal tiger husbandry practices is to periodically fast them. Think about this. In the wild, tigers do not successfully kill there prey on every hunt. The norm in the wild is feast or famine. For millions of years tigers have evolved to survive this way. As with people, an overweight animal is not a healthy animal.

stian
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Vlad,

Generally, tigers fast one or two days per week. This is not only good for them, it's necessary to keep their digestive system working properly.

In the wild, a tiger may have to go without food for up to a week. So when a kill IS successful, they basically gorge themselves, eating 40lb or more (a cat of Clarence's size could probably manage 60) in one sitting. Their system needs time to digest all that food, and that time is provided by the fast.

If you feed a tiger every day, you have two choices:

a) Give them less food than they want (unhappy cat)

b) Give them all the food they want (fat, unhealthy cat)

Neither option is a particularly good idea -- nature evolved the tiger's "fast-and-gorge" digestive system over eons, so the best way to feed a tiger is to replicate nature as closely as possible.

That said, a cat will never go that long without food at the sanctuary. Tiger-Dave would sooner fast himself than let one of his little babies go hungry Exclamation

-Stian
LEMUR-J
* * Nerd * *
* * Nerd * *

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great post Stian! Nice seeing you on the forum bud! This is why we have a strict "Feeding" rountine with all of the felines to simulate thier natural evolution of "Feast or Famin". It is absolutly a neccesity to fast felines in captivity.

J
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow! How interesting! Thanks so much for your replies! I learn something new here everyday! Smile
kristiemiller79
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Question, When you go to feed the big cats at the sanctuary, if they are really hungry, is it hard to feed them together? I just thought that they would try to steal each others food or something, if hungry enough.
hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi kristie.....yeh i can imagine them all being fed together hehehe.

Sorry for that couldnt help it.....The big cats get fed in the morning dave just throws the food into them in there habitats every day.

With midnight he goes in with her with a big bowl of food and sits with her while shes eating....thats great to watch and you can get some great pics too.

Hope this answers your question. Very Happy
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D. H. Lawrence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
feeding the cats are easy and there is only two cats per habitat so when I throw it in i do it in a way that they don't fight over it and i do it the same way everytime so they know where to be so for the most part they never fight for the food !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kristiemiller79
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks dave, I was wandering cause after watching the Locked and Loaded, I remember how you said about the lions eatting. The males get to eat first and then whats left the females get, then after the cubs.

Also I thought that maybe that you had two people there to feed, cause you could have had one at one end and one at the other...hehe!

It's really good to know that they really don't fight over it, that could get ugly... Wink
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey I am back up and running NOW !!! hehe !!!

just got the T-1 working !!! Bell south has been here all morning and of course it was something stupid that was causing the problem after all the work they did over the weekend !!! What a mess but I have all new lines and equipment so we are good to go !!!

Thank God !!!

P.S. Got power late Sunday !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hehe!!! Great news for sure and THANK YOU BELLSOUTH....Glad that problem is straightened out and Thank God you also have power now. Everyone has missed their Play-Doh baby in the forum but we all know you have been busting *** getting things cleaned up and I'm sure you've accomplished alot, but still have alot to do. Welcome back from all your little nerds...hehe.. Laughing
hazelmharris1
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL yeh welcome back daddy....glad you got your power back...now get to work hehe...just joking we can wait patiently we know you have a lot do right now....and we will do what we can for you....behind you all the way daddy.... Very Happy Razz
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

D. H. Lawrence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Got the Power! Reply with quote
YAAAAYYYYYY Exclamation ........'HE'S GOT THE POWER!!'

So happy to hear the power is back, the hassles and puzzlement with the T-1 resolved....what a big PITA 'eh?..........AND WE FINALLY HEARD FROM TIGERDAVE!! Sure missed ya big guy!! Hang in there.....we're all working on ways and means to try and gain some extra support hopefully in the form of new members, who I'm sure will quickly fall in love with this place like we all have. Together we can make a difference here and now........and that's what it's all about. 'Tis is not?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: