Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Room to run?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalfan
Baby Iguana
Baby Iguana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Room to run? Reply with quote
Hi Guys. I'm still working on reading all of the posts, and sure this has probably come up before, but I was watching the babe's and thinking... are there any areas or runs where the tigers are able to take-off running and by chance wear themselves out every once in awhile?

I know that they must have plenty of space, but I'm claustrophobic myself and can't help but project my claustrophobia onto any caged animal... including my housekitties. Just wondering what their needs are for that type of exercize and if they have anything like that at the sanctuary.

Also, what kinds of things get them hyper and playful? Can you pique their interests like little cats?

Thanks!
>^..^<
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey There animalfan!

I was wondering where you were. You sound so much like me. I tried to read the entire forum (bit by bit) after I joined. As you have probably already discovered, there is a wealth of information here and we've had some interesting discussions. And yes -- we've at least touched on that topic in a couple of threads.

If I understand correctly -- the tigers live in very spacious, naturalistic habitats. One of the things that initially impressed me about Tigerhomes is that most of the cats are matched up with companions. And they do romp and play and enjoy each other's company in their habitats.

Check out Laura's vids to see the big cats gettin' busy, playing, excercising and romping about in their habitats:

http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/animal-videos/

Of course, I'm only sharing what I know. Other members or Dave himself could tell you more...

V

animalfan
Baby Iguana
Baby Iguana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the link vlad, there's so much to explore here, I hadn't come across those animations but I loved them.

It's obvious they have alot of fun and relaxation in their habitats.

My question is whether they ever have the need that to take off running to burn off some energy, you know, haul some butt to wear themselves out? Like a dog does, or even a housecat, how they get hyper and run back and forth or run and run until they get beat tired.

Do they ever get pent up energy and are they able to adequately burn it off? Work their muscles?
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Big Cat Time Reply with quote
The big cats WILL take off running right in front of your eyes if you are lucky and happen to catch them at the right time. Usually when they do this, they are playing with their companion, an object in their habitat, or being fed. These aren't cheetah's that do lots of running and really need that sort of thing on a constant basis, and you have to remember that the big cats have LARGE, SPACIOUS, NATURALISTIC HABITATS -- so there is ample opportunity for them to run and exercise. Another thing to remember is that one of the things that big cats are TOTAL EXPERTS at is the most boring activity in the world -- SLEEPING! Laughing

You'll have the opportunity to witness them being active if you watch them long enough & are lucky. One of the best things about the Tigerhomes webcams is that they afford us nerds the opportunity to safely observe many of the big cats' natural behaviors. (Did I mention that they REALLY LOVE TO SLEEP!!!)

The Kitty caught one of the tigers getting a good workout with a flashlight! (Lucky catch there Sis! Cool )
http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1559&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Many of us have seen the big cats running & playing in their habitats. Laura even made an awesome video of the cougars dashing back & forth, and I believe one of the goldens.

Obviously -- the answer to your question is that they can & do run whenever they feel like it! Because they have such spacious habitats -- they don't have to feel "pent up" like a zoo animal for example. Now if you're wondering WHEN they do this . . . keep in mind that we are all on "Big Cat Time." Which means that they do it when THEY feel like it.

tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sleep is what they do best and most of the tigers are at least 7 years old but you would be surprise to know that the females are all more active then the males hands down !!!

These animals are all a BIG PART of everybody lives !

Look at the AWESOME snap shots and video clips that has been done by you guy and the fun we have had learning and watching and talking about and showing and doing amazing things !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
animalfan
Baby Iguana
Baby Iguana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, and as I do learn every day from watching THO the babies really are just that, big CATS, and sleep is exactly what they do best! Smile Since I am on the west coast I am not able to see the cats when they must be the most active, in the MORNING. But today was a lucky day for me. I got to see Gypsy and Clarence doing a little "rough-housing," which lasted for a minute or two, and I also got to see either Marcan or Sherikon playing with that beat-up ball and that's a first for me!! I don't mind saying, "It was sooooo CUTE." Razz

When is the best time to see the kitties at their most active?
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Big Cat Time Reply with quote
I think you answered your own question. You might want to get up really early so you can enjoy seeing them busy in the early a.m.
Quote:
Since I am on the west coast I am not able to see the cats when they must be the most active, in the MORNING.

Of course -- they get really busy at feeding time! Twisted Evil

Remember -- There's no schedule for these animals. They have large, naturalistic habitats so that they can be themselves, and we lucky nerds get to catch their natural behavior

So -- like it or not -- you're on BIG CAT TIME! Laughing (as are the rest of us nerds)

Angrod Saralonde
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hehe, I live in Germany. I don't have to get up early. Cool
7 days to the poison
And a place in heaven
Time drawing near as they come to take us

by Nightwish - "7 Days to the wolves"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: