Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Savage Kingdom's AWA License Revoked - Cats Adopted Out

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Savage Kingdom's AWA License Revoked - Cats Adopted Out Reply with quote
Arrow Lady Lake attraction welcomes 2 cougars
Their former residence lost its license to exhibit the animals
Martin E. Comas, Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted December 27, 2006

Quote:
LADY LAKE -- The ponies, goats and sheep at Uncle Donald's Farm have unlikely company now -- a pair of cougars.

The exotic cats, Mercury and Marti, were donated to the north Lake County attraction by Savage Kingdom, a wild-animal ranch in Center Hill with a checkered past. It was forced to get rid of almost two dozen big felines recently after federal authorities revoked its license.

Big Cats Adopted Out

The owner of Savage Kingdom is said to have "raised and trained wild cats for more than 50 years." Now, all but five of his big cats have been donated or adopted out to other facilities. Those who adopted the animals noted their good physical condition and what a good job of breeding Baudy (Savage Kindgom owner) had done. One of the places the adopted cats went to is Jim Fowler's Life in the Wild. You might remember Jim from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. Baudy is quoted as saying that he placed them "with people who know what they're doing."

Why Savage Kingdom's License was Revoked

Rober Baudy, who by the way is 83 years old -- seems to have done a good job with his animals. They are said to be well-fed, healthy animals. So you might be wondering (along with me) why his license was revoked. In July of 2001, a 319 pound tiger burst through a rusted chain-link fence and killed a volunteer animal handler. A federal investigation revealed that the tiger's cage was unsafe and the volunteer who was attacked was inadequately trained to handle big cats -- and that the handler didn't follow several precautions. Traces of marijuana were found in the handler's system. Shocked In a separate incident a cougar strangled itself after workers tried to retrieve it with a lasso.

Those were amoung the reasons that the USDA permanently revoked Baudy's federal permit last July. The permit is called an Animal Welfare Act (AWA) licence, and is required in order to exhibit and breed certain animals.

~~

Interesting Note Regarding the Use of Volunteers:

Donna Morris, owner of Uncle Donald's Farm, where some of the adopted cats went, was quoted as saying:

Quote:
"Accidents do happen, but in almost all cases, it's the human's fault," she said. "The guy [Lowe] should have been better supervised. The only thing predictable about animals is that they are unpredictable."

Morris doesn't have volunteers to help her care for the dangerous animals.

"I have people who come to me and say: 'Wow, I love big cats, can I help?' " she said. "But I don't take volunteers. You just don't make mistakes with those animals; otherwise someone is going to get hurt."

~~

A penny for a nerd's thoughts on this article... Confused

Last edited by vlad on Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amend to that !!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I definitely thought of you and the many offers you must get from people who want to be hands-on with your big kitties. You are a wise man indeed! Cool But we would expect nothing less from the King Nerd Exclamation
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: