Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Satellite to Track Elusive Pakistani Snow Leopards

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowlady444
King of the Jungle
King of the Jungle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Satellite to Track Elusive Pakistani Snow Leopards Reply with quote
[quote]
Quote:
Satellite to Track Elusive Pakistani Snow Leopards

November 29, 2006 — By Reuters

ISLAMABAD — Conservationists in Pakistan have for the first time attached a satellite tracking collar to a snow leopard with the aim of gathering crucial information for efforts to save the endangered big cats.

I think that this information will be so valuable for the future of the Snow Leopard.

Quote:
"It is the first time that a satellite tracking device has been put on them and they are being tracked through the global positioning system," Aslam said on Tuesday.

Just think of the possibilities for other animals and wildlife in the future also!

Quote:
The study is being carried out by WWF-Pakistan, the Snow Leopard Trust conservation group and the wildlife department of Pakistan's Northwest Frontier Province.

There are between 3,500 and 7,000 snow leopards left in the world, between 200 and 420 of them in Pakistan, according to the Snow Leopard Trust.

Which is a lot more than I thought there were, but conservation is still the key on keeping them alive, and anything toward that goal is definitely a step forward for mankind also , in my book!!! Laughing

Quote:
"By looking at this tracking data we'll know their home range -- what is the minimum area a snow leopard requires to live and thrive."

Source: Reutres

I just love Science and Technology when it's used to help the animals! Laughing

link to the article: Arrow http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061128/india_nm/india278084
SnowLady444

Last edited by snowlady444 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow...between 3500 & 7000?! Those numbers are actually somewhat better than I had read in other places before. The following excerpt from the article made me smile really big..
Quote:
"Snow leopards are nocturnal, they live at an altitude which is not very healthy for human beings and they are also very elusive so we really don't know a lot about them," he said.

That is somewhat good news that they live so high up in the mountains, making it alot harder for man to disturb them, so hopefully they will thrive for generations to come! And thank God for elusiveness! (Is that a word? lol Rolling Eyes ) Wink Smile
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those numbers caught my eye too! Made me wonder if captive (zoo&otherwise) animals were included in that count. Actually, I went and did a little quick net-surfing and learned that:
Quote:
An estimated 3,500 to 7,000 wild snow leopards roam the mountains of central Asia today (see table at right). In addition, there are between 600 and 700 snow leopards in zoos around the world.

From Arrow http://www.snowleopard.org/catfactsclassroom/catfacts/population
There are some really interesting videos in another section of the Snow Leopard Trust website. Go down below the promo vid on this next link and check out some of the cool footage of Snow Leopards in the wild.
Go here Arrow http://www.snowleopard.org/photos/videoclips/ try out Ghost of the Himalayas....*sigh* What a wonderous feline!

Thanks for posting this Snowlady......it's a good one Exclamation Very Happy We need all the good news we can get hey? Wink)

vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Snow Leopard an Umbrella Species Reply with quote
We're getting our collective nerds on! Cool

Thanks Snowlady for posting that GREAT NEWS for snow leopards! The big cats can always use some good news. Below is a quote from the article which you shared with us, and a quote from the article as well. (Whew! The link I found was HUGE! But there are ways around that...)

Quote:
There's an urgent need to conserve them.

Arrow Satellite to track elusive Pakistani snow leopards
Tue 28 Nov 2006 3:14 AM ET (Reuters)
(Source: News.Nabou.com website)

The Snow Leopard page on the Carnivore Preservation Trust website notes that in addition to the threats posed by poaching, humans hunting them and loss of habitat -- snow leopards face the additional challenge of occupying a very large territory with harsh climatic conditions. Because of this individual snow leopards might have a more difficult time finding each other to mate. NOT GOOD if their numbers are already dimenishing. And although the numbers may seem high at first glance -- these are animals facing challenges which are causing their numbers to decline.

Arrow Carnivore Preservation Trust: Snow Leopard (Uncia Uncia)

The Reuters article also mentioned that the snow leopard is considered an "umbrella species." Wikipedia defines an umbrella species as "a species whose home range and habitat requirements are sufficiently broad that, if protected, numerous other species of smaller range will also be protected." This make protecting their habitat even more important.

Quote:
"Snow leopards are nocturnal, they live at an altitude which is not very healthy for human beings and they are also very elusive so we really don't know a lot about them," he said.

Several websites that I visited noted the enlarged nasal cavities, long thick belly fur, shortened front legs and other adaptations of snow leopards, which allow them to thrive at high altitudes which would be excessively unhealthy for most humans. Considering those obstacles to observing them, in addition to their elusive nature -- studying them by satellite seems like a GREAT IDEA -- and I applaud the collaborative effort of WWF-Pakistan, the Snow Leopard Trust conservation group and the wildlife department of Pakistan's Northwest Frontier Province!

Further kudos to them for simultaneously addressing the human/animal conflict by offering insurance to farmers who lose livestock to snow leopards! Cool

~~

Don't forget to check out the Tigerhomes Education Pages article by Jason!

Arrow Snow Leopard
Story By: Jason Abels Assistant Director,
Tigerhomes Animal Sanctuary

~~

Laura -- Thanks for sharing the vids Exclamation Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: