Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Ace's Sanctuary Visit July2006
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh man! That just blew me away! Shocked

The first wild animal that I ever saw at a zoo was a tiger! But it wasn't displaying very natural behavior and was pacing back & forth frantically in its cage, behind bars on a concrete floor, while people (myself included) gawked at it. I was a little kid & didn't realize how unhappy that cat must have been.

Well that experience does not begin to compare to what you showed us in Part II of your visit. These animals truly have "sanctuary." I've never seen a big cat as beautiful as Sherikon! Seeing them in these fantastic settings with the soft ground beneath their paws, space to roam and places to hide and cool themselves just thrills the tiger lover in me! (favorite big cat! Smile ) Thanks for giving us the chance to see Sherikon's full body/rear pic. Her gorgeous striping and color amazes me, especially the way her stripes fade to the tip of her tail! *reminds self to breathe* To see her walking around in real life must have been KILLER! That serious looking Marcan is gorgeous too. Thanks for capturing him strutting in all of his fierce glory! Twisted Evil

What a labor of love all of the beautiful landscaping is at the sanctuary!
The animals are obviously spoiled and so are we! Cool Many many thanks for taking us on this virtual tour and sharing this experience with us! Very Happy

Val

P.S. Thanks to the Tigerhomes team for EVERYTHING Exclamation * a nerd is in awe* Shocked Very Happy Cool

keykey
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I did you see Sherikon's EYELASHES! Very Happy
She must drive Marcan WILD with those beautiful eyes of hers. Wink Wink

gb3llma wrote:
The pictures are ALL wonderful and everything is looking so beautiful there. What a paradise the sanctuary is. Ace, I don't know how you do it but you do it so well...........you TAKE US THERE and I want to say THANKS AGAIN (& again & again ) for creating these narratives for everyone. You are spoiling us and I am truly enjoying every bit of it.

All of you guys are TRUELY AMAZING... Thank You for letting us be apart of this. Very Happy

Looking forward to Part 3! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ace1fan
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: THO Virtual Tour Reply with quote
Honest - I am so glad you guys are enjoying this virtual tour. I really did take you with me every step of the way Cool I am also very thankful to Dave for the opportunity to take some photos. You have to remember that is the first time I ever took pictures other than the visit with Nigel Marvin last 4th of July when they were filming at the Sanctuary.

When visiting you also have to remember that Dave sees this EVERYDAY. I kept turning and saying ...Oh Dave look at this - What are you looking at there is nothing over there Question There are beautiful flowers in bloom and the windmills and the bamboo - and Barbara's plumbago reaching to the sky Exclamation Very Happy Exclamation Oh my, my... he smiles & shakes his head Cool
I am still in search of the name of the vine with its pink and magenta flowers that were just beautiful cascading along. It is the first time I ever saw that flower and it had three separate colors on the same plant much like the Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow Plant that is one of my favorites.

Now I also used this opportunity to take down the administrative paperwork and other things that are part of my off-scene support for the Sanctuary. Boxes of envelopes, and labels and printed blank Adoption Certificates hoping they will find a way into a Sponsor's heart. The Adoption Certificates help so much. When we do adopt the animals it helps feed & care for that animal for perhaps one day.... then there is the next day, and the next and those days turn to years so every bit of support is needed and appreciated.

I agree with t~e - one of these days it would be AWESOME to have sound. You could listen for hours & hours to the "music of the Sanctuary". There is no other place like TigerHomes. Now we have the Grounds and Hurricane Recovery, the White Tigers, Bengals and some "Special Treats" still to come... so stay tuned.

Ace
taburineagle
Golden Tiger
Golden Tiger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: THO Virtual Tour Reply with quote
Nice! I just saw Part 2... also very cool! I never really thought about the flora that went into keeping the habitats in a natural state -- a very interesting thing to think about (especially the bamboo being used in the lemur enclosure) - not only is it decorative, it's useful in other areas.

Even if Dave sees it every day, I'm sure I'd still be pointing things out... I've seen (or used to - the heat's kind of keeping the animals "in" lately) the things I've been seeing for the last 8 years, and it's still amazing to see something come to my camera setup - people think I'm insane when I say "Ooh, a squirrel!" ... "Yeah. SO?" Smile

t~e
suack
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ace (Cathy) just have to say how wonderful your pictures and article on your visit is have saved the part 1 and part 11 and am eagerly awaiting the other part your wording and warmth was very moving and I so wish I had been there with you but hey In some ways I felt I was. So once again thank you for sharing it all with us it was a special treat for me
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great pics for sure, Ace! I'm sure there are alot of us that envy you for being so close and able to visit like that. I for one, hope to be able to visit there soon. I originally had planned for July or this month, but due to things beyond my control, im not able to just yet. Crying or Very sad So thanks so much for the pics, which is indeed, the next best thing to being there. Wink Cool
BarbaraJ
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Visit Part II Reply with quote
Can you believe I’ve had no internet or cable since last Saturday at 1:00 a.m. - thunderstorm on top of my house knocked it out Exclamation Back up and running and came right here and now there’s Part II. Sherikon and Marcan are breathtaking. Seeing where they “hide” from the cams in their den - and those eyelashes - what a lady Exclamation And the plants (my plumbago in my backyard is loving this hot/humid weather) and the windmills - gotta study the pics to see if I can find Dave’s hammock Wink And Cathy’s says there’s more Special Treats to come. I’m like a child waiting for Christmas morning; oh my gosh can’t wait. Did a little searching for that plant before losing my connection - nothing that meets the “three color” criteria, though. Not enough words to thank everyone, that’s for sure.

Barbara
ace1fan
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Hurricane Damage Clean-Up Reply with quote
Barbara - so you glad you got back on line. Sure are sorry days when you can't see what's going on at TIGERHOMES Exclamation It was really great to get to see Dave & the animals. I got the best shots I could without disturbing the animals and I always want to hear what Dave is saying. Those 2 hours could have stretched to 4 and Dave is always kind and gracious and even after all the Hurricane Damage the Sanctuary looked more beautiful than ever.

I have to tell you guys that I was just as impressed then as the first day I logged onto TigerHomes. It is hard to believe just how much work is done here and to see what it takes for Dave to handle all the animals and maintain the grounds. Sherikon's eyelashes are WAY COOL. I tried to get a shot of the hammock(s) for you but I didnt see them - I think the Hurricane winds took them or they were downed with the trees.

We do still have some Hurricane Damage & Recovery photos and those "Special Treats" coming when Alex has a chance to post them for us. For now here are a few photos if you wonder what Dave did yesterday when he told us he was out on the grounds with Greg and a chainsaw working on Hurricane Wilma debris removal. AMAZING - They got through these entire areas yesterday that ran the full length of the property. So if anybody ever wonders why Dave is not on the computer or adjusting a cam, here is one good reason:

Maybe we can get new Hammocks so TigerDave can takes a well deserved REST someday SOON Cool We all need to give Dave a special thank you for all his work and efforts. This will remind everyone also that one of the best ways to help is to show our support by helping, if we can, is to make a donation to this or to any one of the Special Projects. Every single one no matter how large or how small MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE.

Now he can gain access for the perimeter fence repairs. There is so much more in taking care of the Sanctuary than what we see on the Cams. The work is neverending.....

Ace
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome pics, Ace and thanks for sharing. You are right, I believe there are a lot of people out there that don't even realize the half of it. They think TD has a team of people who work for him and he just sits back and watches and takes care of the cams! Those of us who know him and know a bit more about Tigerhomes definitely know that is not the case! It is mainly Dave who takes care of it all. He is the one who looks after the animals, and feeds them, and he runs the sanctuary and takes care of the grounds on his own (besides Greg the yard guy) and fixes his own irrigation for the habitats and the grounds, fixes his own roof (along with Murf, who totally rocks!), and so on and so on. Yes, he looks after the cams and does his best to keep them running, but in all honesty, I wish more people would be more patient with him when there might be an issue with one. Chances are, if there is a problem with a cam, TD is aware of it, and people need to realize that if it is not fixed right away, that doesn't mean he doesn't know about it. Give the man some time please! LOL! With all this man has on his hands, cams are not the number one priority, but he does do an awesome job on keeping all 30 + up and running! Now how about that?? With all he has to do already and then taking time out of his busy day to wipe a lense or clear grass out of a view, I think he MAJORLY deserves some THANKS!!! Oh man, Im ranting again...hehe...sorry, but wanted to get that out... So I agree, Dave def needs that Hammock!!! But do we really think he would ever use it? lol! Wink Cool
ace1fan
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: First Steps Reply with quote
Kitty wrote Re Cams:

Quote:
I wish more people would be more patient with him [Dave]when there might be an issue with one. Chances are, if there is a problem with a cam, TD is aware of it, and people need to realize that if it is not fixed right away, that doesn't mean he doesn't know about it.

And that is so true. Many large institutions with tons of help & funding have a hard time keeping 2-3 cams running smoothly, much less more than 30 Exclamation It is great though each & every time someone notices and cares enough to say something it shows they are PAYING ATTENTION Wink

New faces and new questions are really invited & always welcome. That is how people learn just how the Sanctuary works and gets to know what their involvement will mean. Not just to Dave or to the Animals but to themselves. Each time we log in we can see the live Cams, get updates and watch the progress being made. TigerHomes is an interactive Wildlife Adventure at its finest.

It is a great feeling for those who have been around for awhile to get to share our knowledge & feelings. Myself here now this month for 3 years but - I missed 3 of the years prior Confused I have to let you know right here & now, there is not one day that goes by where I don't learn something new at TigerHomes & from you guys Exclamation It is one of the best ways for so many people to teach their children and involve their friends in a VERY worthwhile cause. Fair warning to all newcomers - it will STEAL YOUR HEART Twisted Evil

Plus the animals are just a major event EVERYDAY Cool

HI
^^^^^ to Dave, Jason, Alex, Vlad, Donnie, Murf, Greg, Wayne and all the off-duty people who lend a hand. But especially to all of the SPONSORS who pitch in to help in so many ways. We need all the new faces and help we can get here. We all start out somewhere. Getting to know the Sanctuary and the Animals are great "First Steps".

LOL

Ace
keykey
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OMG! Shocked
Once again THANK YOU ALL for Part 3, 4 and 5. Very Happy
It was so amazing to see all the Animals like that.
It was almost like we were right there with you. Razz Cool Razz
And Goliath & Max what beautiful dogs they are. Very Happy
As I can see there is still a lot of work & repairs that need to be done from the HURRICANES! Shocked
That VIEW FROM THE TOP... what a beautiful view of the Sanctuary!
And thats only a small portion of the Sanctuary. Cool Razz Very Happy
Please everyone show your support... DAVE needs are HELP!

You Guys Are The Best!!! Very Happy
TIGERHOMES ROCK! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Ace's Sanctuary photos Reply with quote
WTG once again, Cathy! Very nice photos and thanks so much for sharing. Now you know I ESPECIALLY loved the one of the LOKSTER ! Maybe the guys can offer that one as one of the ones in the White Tiger Series? Hmm? Possibly?? Hehe! And thanks for giving us a great shot of Dave & Max too! I love huskys and I've had several out there at work that are absolutely to die for! Laughing You can tell that alot of love and hard work went into getting this series together for us and we all want you to know how much it is appreciated and enjoyed! I think there may be alot of people out there who just never realized how bad the damage was from the hurricanes last year, and here we get to see it all over again but in deeper detail and then also the work that has been started and what has been completed. We can all hope to be so lucky one day and finally get to visit the sanctuary and see it All "Up Close and Personal"! Wink Razz Thanks so much for taking the time out of your very busy schedule also to share these with us all! Razz
Denise
Golden Tiger
Golden Tiger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
FABULOUS!!! A wonderful testimony to showcase Dave's love and devotion to the animals. Just finished Parts III, IV, and V, and I feel like I was there myself. The pictures were georgous, and what a treat to include the main house with roof repairs in progress.

I am putting in my second vote that a link to this series be put on the main THO webpage for new vistiors HINT! HINT! Smile
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
it will be put there but we wanted you guys to get the first looks !!! hehe !!!

I can't begin to tell you all that i need HELP !!! in the last 10 days we got a grand total of 80.00 dollars (one monthly donation fee for the cams 9.99 and 35.00 special project and one hat 19.99 and 20.00 special project ) now I ask does that not make you sick with all the hard work we do ???
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BarbaraJ
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote
I am totally amazed by these pictures and have been studying them for the last hour Exclamation There is so much detail to take in, and as soon as I get more ink for my printer I’ll be studying them even more Wink . Thanks to everyone involved - Cathy for the pictures that took us on the journey with her and for the story lines, Alex for putting it on the website and Dave for EVERYTHING he does EVERYDAY. These pictures from your visit and the night lights give us all a whole new look at the Sanctuary - as if we are there. We are all lovin’ every minute of it and learning as we go along.

Barbara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: