Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

World's tiger habitat said down 40 percent

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: World's tiger habitat said down 40 percent Reply with quote
World's tiger habitat said down 40 percent
Thu Jul 20, 2006, by Michael Casey (AP Environmental Writer)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060720/ap_on_sc/tigers_shrinking_habitat
(source: Yahoo News website)

The Bad News...
According to this article -- tigers occupy roughly 7 % of their range, representing a 40 percent decrease in their natural habitats over the past decade. Also, the article places the global tiger population in the wild at around 7500 with a trend towards steady decline due to the challenges they face such as: poaching, loss of habitat and conflict with humans.

The Good News...
The results of a study by a coalition of conservation group has identified 76 areas that they believe may have the best chance of supporting tiger populations. According to that study -- at least half of those 76 areas are capable of sustaining around 100 tigers each. Most of the areas identified are in Asia, with researchers also focusing on a few key regions in India, Russia and parts of Southeast Asia.

Quote:
"We have learned many important lessons over the last 10 years, and this study provides a blueprint for scientists and the countries that hold the key for the tigers' survival," said Mahendra Shrestha, director of National Fish and Wildlife Foundation's Save The Tiger Fund, which commissioned the study.

Conservation efforts so far have helped stabilize certain tiger populations, but many initiatives were "ad hoc" and "did little to stem the crisis," the study found.

John Robinson of the Wildlife Conservation Society said tiger conservation requires commitment from local groups, governments, and international donors to "bring the species back to all parts of its biological range."

imashell
African Leopard
African Leopard

Location: Illinois, Watching 700 lbs of tiger hiding in 8" of grass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I rule the world...

I'll let stupid humans kill each other off, (we have free choice) then put blood thirsty animal killers in a cage to let them do the same to each other! (As it is animals aren't allowed any choices when it comes to interaction with humans, which is of, course, inhuman. No I don't mean inhumane)

Of course, when I rule the world there won't be any wars, so that will cut down on a lot of wholesale slaughter of humans too. Then I only have to worry about putting murderers and their ilk in their killing cages.

I figure the last man standing in either cage, will either die of his/her wounds or can just wait around for the next batch.

Yup, I'm feeling a little grouchy this am! Evil or Very Mad

Stupid questions are a cure for Ignorance! An annoying cure sure, but... Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: