Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Storms May 2004
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrrreatCats
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Storms May 2004 Reply with quote
Question It is nearly time for the yearly monsoon season to begin and all that is a part of it...downed trees, lightning and worse. If the cats...or any portion thereof...had to be temporarily moved, do you have cages or a truck to run them into until fences could be set upright or a flooded area allowed to dry a bit?
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well yes I do have a huricane plain ! The same plain I always have button down the hatch and wait it out ! I would not leave the house at all and I do have enough crates to put all the animals in including all the tigers and Lions and then bring everyone in the house or garage and we will all say our prayers togerther...Lucky for me I have been in 4 or 5 major huricanes living in south Fl. so I do know what to expect...Now a tornato you can't do nothing about and huricanes do also have them spinning around so that would not be good !!! The creates for the tigers and lions are so well put together the house could fall on them and nothing would happen to them... Sad Sad Sad And the tigers could care less about their area being flooded they love the water and would be running around playing in it...I have been here over 10 years and have had tons of rain and flooding but within a day or so it just dry up quickly...The problem would be having to build all the habitats again and redue all the landscaping ! And if you look at the video that Donnie put together on our "about us Page" you will see what I mean about lossing the landscaping and the amount of work and money it would take to rebuild !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GrrreatCats
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: In the house??? Reply with quote
Well, bless your heart....kitties in the house. It's too bad that homes here don't have basements. Do you have a portable generator or kerosene lamps as well as a supply of batteries just in case? There's always a run on the stores as the season begins.

When I lived near DC years ago I put in a 55 hr work week and volunteered another 20 hours a week to be a buddy to a Whitman/Walker client who was terminally ill. A tornado was sighted in western Montgomery County and our lights in Potomac went out. I tried to call John, my client, whom I knew to be home alone during the day. I got a busy signal. Off and on for several hours I tried to call and still got a busy. Fearing the worst, as soon as I got off work I collected ropes, a shovel, a lantern and flashlights....all manner of emergency gear...and drove 12 miles in rush hour traffic with no working stop lights. When I pulled up outside John's house I heard music and hastily hid the equipment before knocking on the door. Inside sat John and partner listening to the stereo and with all lights blazing. "Er', I said, 'just checking due to the storm." "What storm?" they asked in unison.

Nah, I wasn't a girl scout. I was USN.

If I had a house rather than a condo you could put some of the animals in my garage. Smile

gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Preparations for Storms Reply with quote
"Locked & Loaded" one of the 3 AWESOME(!!) DVD's by TH has a segment showing some of the precautions which are taken by the sanctuary for extreme weather. Very interesting to see.....and, well, I may be biased here, but those films are really, really a MUST SEE! I was wonderfully impressed by how much work it must have taken to put all of it together and with the degree of professionalism. Simply wonderful. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Hurricane Charley Reply with quote
Alix K. asked awhile back if TigerHomes has a plan for Storms.

tigerdave wrote:
Quote:
Well yes I do have a huricane plan ! The same plan I always have button down the hatch and wait it out !

Just saw the newsflash inset that TigerHomes is preparing for tropical Hurricane Charley. Governor Bush has declared a State of Emergency and they are already evacuating visitors from the lower Keys and have just extended the warning to Key Largo. At this time it is not as strong as Hurricane Andrew which did MAJOR damage to South Florida and sheared straight across the State of Florida packing winds in excess of 220-260mph. With Andrew the wind gusts couldnt even be clocked because it was so strong the winds actually destroyed the National Hurricane Center.

75-100 mph winds are still very strong and until you have been through a hurricane you don't realize how powerful the wind can be - it sounds like 100 freight trains at once. It really is the luck of the draw. Giant trees can be felled on one side of the street while roses with delicate petals remain only 20 steps away. I will never forget the handwritten signs the morning after Andrew saying
"We will survive". I would rather be prepared and be safe than sorry.

So let's all keep our fingers crossed and say a prayer...We will be keeping a real close eye on this one..

Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
just imagine the damage to the Sanctuary grounds with even 100 mile an hour winds !!! NOT GOOD at all !!! All the habitats will be distroyed and of course all the cams !!! Not Good Again !!! Not to worry about the animals they will be in the house saying their prayers and waiting it out with Jason and I Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation This will not be a ANDREW thank god !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samacy
Baby Iguana
Baby Iguana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow Dave!!!!!!!!!!! This must be so scarey for you all!!!!!!!!! I will say extra prayers for you and your animals tonight............Hope it won't be as bad as they say!!!!!!!! My prayers are with you all............ Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Take care Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much !!!
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: p3 Reply with quote
PreparePrayPersevere. Ohmygosh! you guys......have had the weather channel on since getting home and reading here that you were anticipating a 'bigbigbig blow'. Knowing that you all are well-equipped for(and well-acquainted with) these storms is very reassuring but I will still be wishing as hard as I can that it's force lessens and the damage is minimal. Shocked Sad
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well wanted to let everyone know we had no problems here at the SANCTUARY from the Hurricane and matter of fact very little rain to !!! There is still a chance for some bad weather tonight but that about it ! Did not have to bring any animals in or did we create any of the Tigers !!! We did put most of the animals in their lock ups to keep them out of the wind and rain and we feed them good and they sleep like that durning the night !!!

We are always ready when it comes to these storms Jason and i have been here are whole lives and have seen and felt and been in quite a few already so we take them very seriously !!!!

The weather men did a GREAT job of tracking this storm they were within 55 miles of perdicting where the eye of the storm would hit the West Cost of Fl days in advance Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
MemaNH
Dung Beetle
Dung Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great news!!!! I have been watching the weather channel and it looked like it missed you. Thanx for keeping us updated. Very Happy
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It the EYE of the storm that has all the HIGH winds so if that goes over you head you are in for MAJOR trouble !!! Jason and i have had that happen a few times already since we have lived in South Fl our whole lives so we know first hand what can happen and we are always ready and pay close ATTENTION to all the storm 24/7 !!!

Now where we live the Building codes are the BEST in the country and our homes are design to withstand 145 mile an hour + winds ! Dade county has learned that lession a long time ago so the construction here is so much better then other places mostly after what Hurricane Andrew did to us here !!! For example in Ft Myers the building codes are set for only 90 mile an hour storm and they got hit with 145 + so that why they have lost their roofs and Major property LOSS !!! This will change now that for sure and being near the water the building codes need to be MUCH HIGHER then 90 mile an hours for roofs and walls !!!
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
you got that right !!! I am already worried and getting ready for the worst !!! I will be staying here and will most likely have all the animals in the house including all the Cats which will be in creates and the house boarded up tight !!! Not good and no fun !!! This place will be distroyed there will be no trees standing or habitats if we get a direct hit !!! NOT GOOD !!! But we will survive and pull out the chain saws and cut our way out and hope some of the habitats aren't completly distroyed !!! I do have food for all the CATS and the Lemurs for about 3 weeks so that not a problem and my neighbor kicks butt and they will be feeding me that for sure so food won't be a problem !!! Now I do have a great generator that will keep a freezer and a Frig. and some lights on and the well pump for water working so that is also good news !!! The big problem is I can't keep the big Cats locked up in creates to long so that the first thing i will be working on is getting some sort of cages or habitats fixed RIGHT AWAY for the CATS !!! Rest of the animals can live in the house for a while with no problems !!! The cougars will sleep in bed with me !!!hehe!!! And most of the cats I can put on long chains tied to a stump or something or just walk them around and put them back in their creates so i do have options for the first few days !!! After about a week we will be in better shape we will have already fix or built a few pens and get most of the CATS out in them !!!

Well anyway lets just hope for the best and be ready for the worst !!!

Now alway remember 30 to 50 miles one way or the other makes a big different but Jason and I are paying close attention to this one and have already put our hurricanes plains to work !!!

We will know more in a few days and I will keep posting our progress in the FORUM !!!
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
well today was more getting ready and preparing for the worst and hoping it stay away !!! It looks like I will do all my moving of all the Lemurs and all the smaller animals on Thrus. afternoon ! Jason and i then will work on all the CATS Fri. morning and finish what ever is left and be ready for a Bad next 24 hours if it is heading our way !!! One things for sure it is hitting Fla. east coast from the Keys to North Fl. so it still to early to know if we are away from the direct path of the storm or not !!!

We will know more in the next 24 to 36 hours where this storm is going so we will keep watching this and continue to get READY for the worst if need be Exclamation
samacy
Baby Iguana
Baby Iguana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not again Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation I can't even imagine what this may be like for you Dave Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation All the preparation for the storm and all.........I am saying my prayers for you and all your animals........Take care and God Bless you all Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: