Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

What Can We Do to Ensure the Survival of Tigers in Asia ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stian
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: What Can We Do to Ensure the Survival of Tigers in Asia ? Reply with quote
I love giving a helping hand down at the sanctuary when I can, but that's here in Florida. Halfway across the world, the future of the tiger looks bleak -- within a few decades, there's a very real possibility that the only tigers left will be in captivity. And a few decades after that...who knows? Crying or Very sad

What can we do to help ensure the survival of the tiger in its natural habitat in Asia? Are there programs to help prevent habitat destruction that one could support financially? Are there ways to volunteer that actually make a difference?

Being half a world away from the tiger's natural ranges, I feel powerless to do anything that would actually make a difference to tigers in the wild. Suggestions would be very welcome!

-Stian
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Tough questions Reply with quote
You have asked some very pertinent and frightening questions. I am afraid that for the majority of humans on this planet the extinction of species doesn't have much importance to it. A lot of the ones that are aware that it would be 'sad' thing to happen don't seem to really believe how imminent and critical the situation is. Governments have the control. The key, I think, is to have enough pressure put on them in order to effect a real change in consideration for nature and the animals who live in the wild. Spread awareness....pressure our governments..........educate for the necessity......does this sound like the TigerHomes Mission? Indeed. A large part of the reason I love this place! (Not discounting the priviledge of watching them on cams, of course! Laughing ) I don't have the answers, really, the issues are so complicated, but what TH is doing in reaching out to the world with their cams and their message is a very important part. I truly believe this is making a difference. We the people.
BarbaraJ
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Mission Reply with quote
Gb3llma and Ace - you state the situation so eloquently. Thank you for putting into words what the rest of us feel.
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Saving the Earth Reply with quote
Thank you BarbaraJ for your comment. I don't think any of us would be here if we didn't care so very much. Sometimes the words 'flow' for me and at other times they must be squeezed out and picked over so to speak.......I bow to the Master, Ace, on fluency. She does it so very well! Now I just have to find Diary of a Poacher! Haven't read or even heard of that one.

I HAVE heard about the programs utilizing the knowledge and skills of 'reformed poachers' and it is a very good start. Just recently I read of two (can't remember which ones specifically-sorry) preserves in India where they cannot even find a trace of the tigers they were supposedly protecting. Such disheartening news. The loss of those tigers almost assuredly is due to poaching which the 'keepers' were completely unable to deter (or horror of horrors: allowing to happen)!! Mad Shame on them....India seems to be making only token efforts in protecting the animals who make it their home. Throw in the towel?? Never. There ARE people in every country who care deeply about these issues and need all the help we can give them in whatever form we can.

Tomes could be written on this topic..........I will stop here. (For now Wink )

gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Google Alert Reply with quote
Thanks! Ace for coming up with the names. I was just looking through my emails for the google alert link that had the info. The article I read was actually from an Indian News service or newspaper of some sort and the link may not even still be active so I am very glad (not surprised Exclamation ) that you knew about this and could give us a good link.

Evil or Very Mad This is terrible for me to say but I don't want to wait for the people responsible for this to rot in hell........I want to see them get their 'paybacks' Exclamation Exclamation Evil or Very Mad

And it still won't bring back those tigers Crying or Very sad

stian
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's sad. Same thing in China too; they refuse to admit the South China tiger is extinct, but it's been how long now since any researcher found so much as a pug mark?

Sometimes I find it downright embarassing to be human Confused
Alex
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
gb3llma and ace really spelled it out Exclamation It really IS such a complicated problem. What awesome posts.

I agree with stian. I feel so out of touch since this is happening so far away. Your right ACE that Education is one way to get this information out to people so it's not such an abstract or distant idea. The more we talk about these issues and the more we focus on educating EVERYONE the greater chance we have of making a difference. Petitions and involvement from more people RIGHT HERE and RIGHT NOW, even the small efforts made by individuals who have never acted before, make a huge difference over time in spreading awareness and eventually making positive changes happen. It's amazing what words can do. Just look at what Stian started!
tigerallied

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
here is something that i thing
becose i'm not very rich I have directed my atentions to something that unfortanatlei few poeple do (wild life conservation) If i wos rich i would be probabile I don't knou any way something not this good
I have learnd the hard way how hard is to care four a animal and haw easey is to loose it becose someone didn't care
cheetahlover13
Royal Python
Royal Python

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ahh Crying or Very sad
Becki
* * Nerd * *
* * Nerd * *

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
All we can do is sustain habitats like tigerhomes through what we are able to give, and get the word out. Push law-makers to take responsibility for the future of our earth and its wildlife. It's very, very frustrating when people just don't care! And, I find the majority of the ones that I know really don't care. They may say they do, but then don't do anything to show it or help the situation.

There's no time to sit around hoping the answer will jump into our laps. It's not going to. We just have to figure out where to go from here....

Oh...question...does Tigerhomes do breeding?

~Becki

We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
stian
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Becki, Tigerhomes does not breed big cats. However, there are definitely some lemur babies running around!

-Stian
tigerallied

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes becki but fot that you need money becose unless you got money nothing moves anywere Sad( and that is the sad truth)
Soon I have found that the tiger dosen't disappeare becose it can not multiplye fast enoght It disepeares becose the're are no money !! and many mamels are in the same condition

Whay a pice a papper has to decide ower live !!
Becki
* * Nerd * *
* * Nerd * *

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're right of course...money decides most things in this world and is what most people need and want.

Personally, I'd rather live in tent and have wildlife than live in mansion and see nothing but concrete.

We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Becki J and I could live in a tent to !!! Our house are very small and nothing great but now outside that different story ! hehe !!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Becki
* * Nerd * *
* * Nerd * *

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dave....yeah, tents would be fun to live in:) ha ha. But it might get a bit hot for you in a tent down there with no air.... Then again, when it's 30 below zero up here I might not be so happy to be in a tent Wink

Luckily, I was able to find a house surrounded by trees so I can see green:)

~Becki

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: