Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Mutilated Eagles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Animals in the News & Animal Trivia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigress
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is very sad. You lnow, you hear these horrendous stories evey now and then of people putting rat poison in thier garbage because Coyotes or Racoons or getting into them. Well, those coyotes and raccons are only looking for food. Us humans are tearing down more and more of their forest homes every day Mad They have no-where else to go.

I live about a five minute drive up hill from the Fraser River here in Surrey BC. There is a bushed area about 6 blocks from my home. I was leaving my house one day to go run to the store. I'm backing up, looking in my rear-view mirror when I seen something run behind my car. I turn and look and there is a DEER running down the middle of the road heading towards King George Highway Exclamation Exclamation The poor thing was just a youngin', and so obvioulsy spooked. It ran down the block and right out onto King George amongst traffic. I was following in my car. People were hitting the brakes, it made it across OK. It ran down some back streets towards the playing field where the BC Lions train. I parked my car and managed to round up a few kids and we scared it into a field that had no other way out. Then I called 411 and got the number for SPCA and called them. I stayed till they arrived with wildlife rescue. They managed to round the poor thing up and released it in the bushed area down by the River.

Unforunately this is happening a lot all over the place because of "progress". Mega houses, condos and mini malls popping up everywhere and driving animals out. Then people complain when they find these creatures in their backyards. Well...GUESS what Question Exclamation It was once THEIR yard Mad I mean, I know cities are growing at alarming rates, and we need homes to live. But, what about their homes. I think we need to keep some of our forested/bushed areas and learn to live with these creatures. And instead of being angry when wildlife "shows" up in your backyard...get the kids, get the camera and enjoy the moment Exclamation He'll move on when he's done Very Happy

We travel out of darkness into faith.
BarbaraJ
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tigress wrote:
And instead of being angry when wildlife "shows" up in your backyard...get the kids, get the camera and enjoy the moment. He'll move on when he's done.

We live sort of out in a rural area and I have deer, owls, hawks, and even a fox along with the usual squirrels, chipmunks, raccoon and rabbits and we love it. I was annoyed when something ate my flower garden to the ground, but I learned what to plant that they did not like.
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Update on Eaglets Reply with quote
>UPDATE< Well, folks, all three eggs have hatched for the Eagles. The 3rd hatched yesterday and they were able to determine this morning that it seems to be doing much better today. These little ones will be competing for food with the strongest usually getting the most so we shall see how this develops. Actually, we'll probably 'hear' how it goes rather than SEE since the bad news is that the cam got either blown or knocked out of whack and half of the view is of tree trunk. Bummer. Trying to adjust it at this point would be a serious detriment to the welfare of the chicks, so seeing much of what is transpiring will be exceedingly difficult. (Personally, I think maybe they just wanted a little more privacy! haha Surprised )

Way to go, BarbaraJ.......yes, there are alternatives and ways to cooperatively live with nature, as you have found. Great tale, Tigress, of the 'Great Deer Rescue'. Mucho happy-o(haha) for a good outcome. Thanks for sharing, you guys.

And now.......a GIANT WELCOMEBACKWEMISSEDYOU! to Maxcat. Sorry to hear your Mom was so ill. Good also that things are now on the upswing for all of you. Glad you're back Exclamation

gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Maps & Information Reply with quote
You said it, ACE! Here is a link for a list of how the senators from each state cast their vote. I already sent a thank-you to both of my home state Senators for their position on this issue. The fight is not over yet. There still remains a chance............

http://takeaction.worldwildlife.org/results/cantwell.asp

gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Eaglet Update Reply with quote
Just a quick update here.........there are still 3 eaglets! Actually I am sort of surprised by that. Maybe the 'pushing and shoving' starts when they are a bit larger. Two trivia facts I learned about Eagles today:
1. They do not foul their nests with 'whitewash'. They have a technique for spraying it outward away from the nest itself. Apparently many raptors share that habit. It is a learned behavior btw--the eaglets will learn to do so.
2. It takes 5 years for an eagle to reach it's adult plumage. WOW!

Thassit....fyi

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Animals in the News & Animal Trivia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: