Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Big cat fanatics claw at Tippi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Animals in the News & Animal Trivia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvjmama2
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Big cat fanatics claw at Tippi Reply with quote
http://tinylink.com/?uO8mjYODx7

I have to say I admire Tippi Hedren, she might not have always done the right thing in her early years but I feel she is trying to do it now.

If you have not seen the movie ROAR that Tippi and her family made, I can tell you it's well worth seeing it. The human actors leave a lot to be desired, Laughing , but the lions, tigers, leopards, etc just blew me away! It's a seriously/funny film, great for the family. I searched the internet over trying to find the DVD and could only find it on the Shambala web site.
http://shambala.org/ From this site you can also find more information on
“The Federal Ban on Breeding the Exotic Feline for Personal Possession Act.” The Bill will be introduced in May 2009.

[/img]
nikki
* Little Nerd *
* Little Nerd *

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great story I have been following Tippi and all she does for awhile thanks for the posting of this article
suack
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes Rena thanks for putting the story with picture and the notice of when the bill will be made legal also enjoyed checking the Roar foundation link you added Im sure ive heard and read of it before but it is important to see these sort of things again and again so that no one forgets the appaling way certain animals are cared for and treated by the so called Human.
Thank god for people like Dave who respect and care for the animals as they are suppose to be cared for when they are left in an alien world by no choice of there own.
Lodaya Siberia
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, but I think Tippi Hedren and especially the movie "Roar" are not so great as they look like. I must admit that I never seen the full movie, but I occupy myself much with it. I saw some trailers and read some informations of the movie in the internet.

The main problem for me is the species-appropriate husbandry, that they just could not comply with. The makers fill a room chock-full with the big cats, no matter which. So far I know some tigers, leopards and/or lions even mate among themselves, so that among others Tigons were born. In addition the movie seems to me, that the actors/makers treat the animals as pets or even toys.
I mean... for me is this clip already enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMH0s8ylXJ4

Those are the reasons, why I mistrust this foundation for now. If I should be worng, correct me please.
bvjmama2
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lodaya Siberia wrote:
Sorry, but I think Tippi Hedren and especially the movie "Roar" are not so great as they look like. I must admit that I never seen the full movie, but I occupy myself much with it. I saw some trailers and read some informations of the movie in the internet.

The main problem for me is the species-appropriate husbandry, that they just could not comply with. The makers fill a room chock-full with the big cats, no matter which. So far I know some tigers, leopards and/or lions even mate among themselves, so that among others Tigons were born. In addition the movie seems to me, that the actors/makers treat the animals as pets or even toys.
I mean... for me is this clip already enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMH0s8ylXJ4

Those are the reasons, why I mistrust this foundation for now. If I should be worng, correct me please.

Hi Lodaya, Smile I can fully understand why you feel the way you do about the movie. Just wanted to give you a little more info on Tippi and her husband Noel Marshall (who also directed the movie) and played one of the main characters "Hank". The movie was filmed over 20 years ago and it took 5 years to complete. I admit they made numerous mistakes with the big cats and at the end of the DVD they have a special clip where they talk about this. Keep in mind though at the time the movie was filmed, Tippi and Noel did not know much about the big cats and everything they did was thru trial and error. Also mixing the tigers and lions to produce tigons and ligers was a big thing. Only years later did they (and us) learn the detrimental effects of mixing the 2 species. The synopsis of the movie truly deals with the preservation of all the big cats species. The inner makings of a lions pride ( Robbie, which is leader of the pride and Togar, a rogue exile). Togar is challenging Robbie for leadership of the pride and also is bent on destroying Hank's family.
There are also 2 members from the Grants Committee who see the big cats as a way to make money by having their hides and set out to destroy the cats, Hank has to protect his family and also the big cats from the 2 poachers. I don't want to give away all the special parts of the movie, but wanted to try and give you information.
I feel Tippi has learned like most people who choose to deal with wild animals on a pesonal level, that big cats are not "pets" and she has learned the hard way Laughing, she tells of bites, scratches, bumps and bruises they she and the other's received from making the movie and from her years of taking care of these magnificent creatures. The movie is heart warming and it's sole meaning ( I feel) was to bring awareness to the plight of these beautiful creatures, even though they did a few things wrong at the time, it still today brings the same message that Big cats are a very important part of our world and to the animal kingdom.
Here is more info from the ROAR the movie website, it also has video clips http://www.roarthemovie.com/html/synopsis.html

I don't agree with the producer of the youtube video you posted above and this is why, the movie has nothing to do with lion vs tiger. At no time during the movie was that portrayed in any way. Both species were portrayed to show their own individual greatness.
Thank you so much for stating your view on this and bringing it open to discussion. I really love to discuss. Laughing Of course I will state this is only my opinion of the movie and I am also open to discussion of why you feel this is not a good movie, lol.
Lodaya Siberia
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
At first I want to say, that I always challenge such foundations like that, because there are so many, those are much worse than they should be.
This foundation is one of them, which strike me as odd just because of Tippi Hedren.
But that she cares better about the animals may be right, the movie is, as you have said, over 20 years old and she had much time to learn something new. I notice that from time to time by my one person.

In the last days I checked out the site which you had posted and it seems to be a little strange to me. Except of the apparent fact, that Tippi Hedren is praised to the skies (okay, I would do the same. Tippi is one of the most important sponsors so far I know), many of the animals, those they have, are ... ancient. For example the leopard "Kara": "Born in 1986, Kara Leopard came to Shambala in February, 1988 after having been confiscated from her previous owner." So she is 22 or 23 years old now. We know, this is very old for a leopard. Many of the other cats have almost the same age. The Lion "Rowdy" for example (born in 1991).
I wonder, whether these big cats are still living or not. Maybe I quibble, but I think it would be odd, if they should not tell it on their site. But, Granted: I have no idea, what their aim could be by that.
Between all these criticisms I am a little bit happy, that this foundation exists, assumed the stories of the animals are true. Plausible are they and the animals surely feel better in Shambala than in the places, where the were before.

btw: I agree with you, that the video is not a comparison of tigers and lions. But for me this clip is a example of the problems, which I have posted. I just have the feeling, that the makers of the movie don't take the big cats seriously.

Quote:
In addition the movie seems to me, that the actors/makers treat the animals as pets or even toys.

But maybe I should see the full movie, to form an real opinion about that. At least I have seen the clips on the site of "roar. Wink

PS: It's very late in Germany and I am very tired. So excuse me for my mistakes and my not so full post. If I have something to add later, I will edit my post. Smile
tigerdave
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow i don't even know what to say about this ! hehe ! I have heard of this movie but have never ever seen a clip of any kind ! WOW !!! is all i can say !!!

they were lucky everybody didn't get killed !!!

I need to buy this movie !

I can figure out already why it took 5 years to make !

I think her foundation is all that's important right now not the mistakes that have been made in the past but how things are now !

Alway remember somtime you can REALY learn from your mistakes Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Barbarylion
Golden Tiger
Golden Tiger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i know if i was working in a sanctuary if i would let a lion with a tiger if they like each other but i wouldn't let them mate unless it happened by mistake
unless their both male cause i know sometimes tigers can fall in love with leopards and if i had to choose keeping them from keeping each other sticking together instead of being mean when it makes them happy. but that only happens when they grow up together besides i hate ppl who think big cats a pets.

but am i allowed to think that some can be friends even though they are like me i have friends that are mountain lions but not like i am in with them like these ppl who are asking to be clawed i have a fence in front of me between the mountain lions this is just my oppion some ppl can think you can never have some sort of friendship oh cause their wild animals <-(rule to never forget). i wonder how many ppl will complain about my ideas and oppions.

i mean like i beleive a Lion will pee on the person that care for them which i beleive is out of happeness is some way sort of like dogs.

yea in their mind i'd be their happyness that i am nice and tasty

cause lions and big cats can't Purr except for mountain Lions

and some ppl say purring isn't a sign of any happyness Laughing

this is all my oppion i may not share a whole same page but don't hate me for being on some other page.

I hope they pass that law

but i hope it doesn't cause a backfire on sanctuarys

and my hope to help the barbary lion and cape lion if i can ever find the right lion with the DNA Rocky be a choice but have no way to go to the sanctuary he is at.

BL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
keykey
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
AWESOME find bvjmama2! Very Happy
Thanks for sharing with us.
I have to say, that I didn't even know who Tippi Hedren was... until now!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alden
Human Tourist
Human Tourist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had seen that about winky indeed so sad I also follow the elephants in tennessee which is not to far from me they lost 2 in just a short time delhi and queenie I just cry everytime I go to the cam and website here is the linkat least we know they are all at rainbow bridge and feeling very happy and healthy
http://www.rockefeller.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASQ
https://www.facebook.com/Citrix
http://www.youtube.com/user/CIPSuOttawa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Animals in the News & Animal Trivia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: