Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

My Ideas and Suggestions for TigerHomes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angrod Saralonde
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: My Ideas and Suggestions for TigerHomes Reply with quote
Maybe it's the typical german orderliness Laughing , but I have some suggestions for the TigerHomes site and ideas for better comfort for the members.

- At first I think in the webcam gallery should be an overview of the months. Sometimes it nerves, when you want to look at the snapshots of the older months/years and not everyone knows the trick to change the numbers in the url. A possibility to select one specific Month is enough, I think. We just must talk about the appearance etc.

- Similar with the Photo Gallery. You should click on all sites directly and what do you think to sort all the photos, so kind of animal for example?
(By the way the window of the full size of the pictures is sometimes too small.)

- Thirdly you cannot click on the pictures to see them in a full/bigger size ( http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/pictures/ ). Isn't it a good idea to add thumbnails?

- The next "Problem" is the front page of TigerHomes. I ask some random persons and they all think there is far too much text! I believe much of the text should be on another part of the TigerHomes website. Any ideas?

- Still at the front page: What do you think about to add a newsarea direct on the front page (Or maybe we use the chronicles for it (For older user, which don't know them: http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/chronicles.cfm -- They're are actually hard to find Confused ))? Many of the visitors aren't in our forum and they want (our better they need!) the newest informations about tigerhomes. I guess many visitors want to see the cams, but they are off and they have no idea at what time they should check out the cams once again. I believe they think then "I can wait for years". Perhaps it sounds hard, but we cannot hold new user, if they don't know what happens at TigerHomes etc.

- I am sure I am not the only one who have this problem: I have no idea how I can tell the cougars apart. The infopage of the cougars is fine, but in my opinion we need a similar infopage like that of the White Tigers for example ( http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/wsiberian.cfm ). The currently infopage should still be available of course.

- The next point is more personal interest, but do Dave and Jason think about to add more personal things (Hobbies, age etc.) of you in the "about"-site? Wink Smile

-
'The Sanctuary's African Leopards'-Forum wrote:
Discussions about "Midnight" the female African Black Leopard Cub, and "Sampson" the adult male African Leopard. This forum is also open to any Leopard related discussions such as general behavior and habitat

Not really up-to-date, isn't it? Wink Midnight is not anymore so small to call her a cub. Laughing That and another descriptions of the Forums should be renewed.

- Last but not least: We all know that the spammers disturb our forum extreme and I want to remember my thread with a solution: http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6719

This was enough for the first time. Maybe I have some new ideas for TigerHomes later. Smile
7 days to the poison
And a place in heaven
Time drawing near as they come to take us

by Nightwish - "7 Days to the wolves"
ace1fan
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: TigerHomes Website Member Feedback Reply with quote
Angrod - your love and dedication for TigerHomes and the animals is so very clear here there can me no mistake they have your heart.

Your thoughts in every area are well thought out in advance and presented in such a professional manner it is obvious you care very much about making this website - the best, and even better than it has ever been.

Dave has been very busy in other areas right now out of sheer necessity to make ends meet and when the time is right he will share those efforts. No Hints remember Exclamation Be certain there is no doubt that TigerHomes is his passion and dream, and we can all be thankful that he has shared his dream and years of work with all of us.

Each and every point you made can be and will be considered and addressed I am sure from the top down in due course. Most of the updates you mention relate to time and money - funding to tend to the website and updates needed which Dave has already taken care of in many ways. The side by side profiles of Nevada and Rebate can be added, as well as an update of the Leopard descriptions as we get back on track.

Through newsletters we can perhaps move some of the text off the home page. In fact a tremendous amount of educational pages are being done now and we have an entirely new layout for that group of content pages coming. Spammers will be blocked with various safety net features where we may even limit the immediate access feature without an administrator or moderator first perhaps giving them a "sign on code". There are safety nets to validate these folks are legitimate members and not computer bots or those who visit using all kinds of rogue means to take advantage of the traffic driven to TigerHomes. That will stop as soon as the funds are generated to implement the upgraded control features.

My work here is gratus, Alex near the same, Donnie could not have given more, Jason also with all he has done for TigerHomes through the years. There is Greg who has worked endless days at the Sanctuary, Alan the "Chef" Twisted Evil , Murf the Angel sent to us from above whose wings have never stopped fluttering over us, Wayne a dear friend of Dave's, Frank who helped time and again when there was need especially with the Lemurs, Dr. Tristan, Dr. Kramer, Nigel Marvin from Discovery who tried and did put TigerHomes on the Discovery map of top notch Sanctuaries with his input and devotion to Dave's work. There are also many people in Dave's entourage who work helping him to help the animals that we have not had a chance to meet yet. Let's not forget the folks who helped in the manufacture and run of the DVD series and design of the gift shop items. A special thanks needs to be given for the support we have from Dave's family and, last and not least, is the man who none of this would be here without and that is Dave.

It has taken him years and now it has become a lifetime to find people who care about TigerHomes as much as you do, as much as we do, and there is nothing is this world that will stop us from caring and being there when it seems it is the hardest to stand by and watch the Sanctuary through the times of this struggle to gain support and membership sponsorship.

Each point you made will be addressed here with other member feedback invited. It is through everyone's understanding and efforts that we have come this far. It is not enough yet, but one day it will be and we can all be proud to say we never gave up trying and we put forth our best effort. It will be through all of us working together with a common goal by putting the Sanctuary foremost in our dreams that we will continue to see it grow and flourish.

The cams is a tremendous draw and I do believe the routers and wiring will be ready to go on-line live again within the next few weeks.

Thanks so much for this post Angrod - let's hope we can get everyone involved. We have a lot of work to do Wink So let's all look back through our pictures - perhaps we can assign tasks for each point and get volunteers to put the Sanctuary Gallery pictures by animal, by number to build a "profile" section for each, and all of us need to just keep deleting or moving posts out of here that do not belong. We need everyone's help here Idea THANK YOU Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Ace
Angrod Saralonde
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I totally agree with you, Ace, and I wrote it already in your pm:

Quote:
I try to do my best for tigerhomes and I think this is matter of course for me.

And I noticed that the "African Lions"/"King of the Jungle"-Subforum (I hope this is the correct word for that) is not in "Tigers, Leopards and Other Wild Cats". It's really not much, but why not all in one? Smile
7 days to the poison
And a place in heaven

Angrod Saralonde
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for back to back, but I have a bigger idea, but in my opinion it don't have to get done too early.

Number One: Do you want a chatroom for TigerHomes? Smile I think it would be a good idea (provided that enough users want to use it). It would be interesting to chat with other users, while watching the cams, wouldn't it? Smile
If it is necessary, I think some of our members would provice a server or whatever for that. Smile
By the way a teamspeak server would be interesting as well.

What do our forum members think about this idea? Smile
7 days to the poison
And a place in heaven

keykey
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, here is my thoughts on chatrooms...
Chatrooms can be good as well as bad... it would have to be in a different place other than the forum. Yes it would be AWESOME to chat to others on what the animals at Tigerhomes are doing on the cams, as we are seeing it. But, to my understanding chatrooms have to be watched (Moderator) more carefully, as people sometimes go way off topic on things. You might even have 10, 20, or 30 different topics going at once, than before you know it... its not even about the animals & cams and the Tigerhomes Mission. Now with the day to day activities we have, such as; school, work, etc... even Dave himself is very busy trying to get Tigerhomes II ready for himself & the animals as well as for us. I just don't think anyone has the time to moderate a chatroom at the present time... maybe in the future, who knows.
Mind you this is only my thoughts on this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Angrod Saralonde
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, that is a question of the organisation. Of course the possible problems, which you mentioned, keykey, can appear and we must see how we "destroy" them. There is no 100% control of the topics in a chatrooms, but it is a matter of opinion how to handle them, I think.
I know if we ever have a chatroom in TigerHomes, then it will be in the (remote) future.
7 days to the poison
And a place in heaven

Angrod Saralonde
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have finally took time to think about new ideas for the TigerHomes-site.

TigerHomes has more to offer than you think, when you visit the TigerHomes-site for the first time. The problem is that you cannot find some links and contents of the site outside of the Forum. For example those videos: http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=853
or this banner: http://www.tigerhomes.org/animal/java/banner.cfm
They are only mentioned in (old) threads in the Forum, but you cannot find them in a "normal" way outside of the Forum. Why are these videos not in the Video Gallery? And I would the banner add to the "Animal, Icons, Wallpaper, Members" in the Sitemap.
These were only examples, there are still more "hidden" contents of TigerHomes.
7 days to the poison
And a place in heaven

Angrod Saralonde
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
In total there are 28 users online :: 11 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests
[...]
Registered Users: Angrod Saralonde, Aroroneam, August_Swerdfeger21e, Bleglelpertum, Cornelius_Unknownbut01e35, Denis_Fraser3e667, Elmer_Harlingbc9, expetaity, Jessie_Lockyered2bb, Peachey, Stephen_Lulhamff3

Well, the number of spam bots is extremly high at this time. We all know, that Dave has not enough time to log on often. But we need an active adminstrator in the forum. Confused Donnie, Alex or whoever. If no one of them can active here, then I suggest that a moderator become a administrator for a short time. This "short time administrator" should just decide a few small things. Of course the big decision decides further on Dave and his team.
Remember, this is just a suggestion to "animate" and to "clean" our forum.
7 days to the poison
And a place in heaven

kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey Angrod! We're here and in and out and do what we can. That's the reason for having several moderators and afew in the different time zones, so we can all be in and out at different times. Dave and the team are way busy working on many different important things, so its up to us guys to hold the forum down. i know it seems afew of the mods have disappeared, and I hope they can return soon. I'm off on mondays, so im in and out, but other than that, im not in until after 6pm 'Tiger time the other 6 days. Believe me, it irritates me to no end more than most of you realize, but doing what we can for now. Just try to not 'acknowledge' their presence, but simply post the famous line....post will be deleted , and it will be zapped as soon as one of us log in. I personally, don't have access to the internet at my work (nor the time.. lol ) , or it would be zapped almost immediately! i have several ideas that i'd like to run by the big guy and see if we can end this or at least cut it down! hang in there Angrod and im sure TD and us all appreciate your dedication to being a lookout and participator in the forum. Wink Laughing
Lodaya Siberia
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I just want to reanimate this thread. Wink
I cherish a many ideas, which I suggested here and I want to add something: We have so many threads here, those we don't use anymore. The overview is missng.
So I think we need an archive subforum, in which we can move the unused, too old threads. An Alternative is that we just delete the threads, but if we should do that... well, some threads maybe.

Something, that I also wanted to add, is the search function, which is out of commission. It's almost impossible to find an older thread, which thematized the topic, which you search.
Can someone correct that if possible?

edit: Okay, I have forgotton something: In some forums is a short list, which threads have new posts. The list shows the fifteen newest threads with new posts then... or we use a rss-feed, that is probaply the better idea. Wink
The problem is that you often overlook some new posts and threads, especially when they are in subforums, those we don't use often.
Spazza
Field Mouse
Field Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lodaya - Thank you again for this link & yes i very much agree with you on many suggestions which you have raised

I am not sure quite what has or hasn't been done up to this point as these posts go back a wee while ago now - if you could let me know what hasnt been done - that would be grt

At the moment & in my personal view & going by the amount of old threads etc no one seems to be interested in doing much of anything & that needs to change

This isn't just about the animals & donations to help - this is also about keeping people interested & wanting to do so - with or without cams

Things really do need to lighten up a little in here

"Be Patient - All Good Things Take Time"
suack
Meerkat
Meerkat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well Spazz not sure what to reply to all you have been putting in the forum since you became a member but I for one feel you have over stepped the mark in quite a few things.
I have been a member of TH for almost 5 years and I am still here and proud to be here and I back Dave in all he has done to keep this place going and without money it hasnt been easy Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
His asking for donations is the only way he has to let people know he needs there help and I help him when ever I can even though I am not in a life in which its easy to do but for my love of those animals of his I will donate what I can when I can and if you dont like the way this site is run then I suggest you might like to go and visit other ones !!!!!
Everyone on here does not mind critisim as that is what keeps a place on its toes but unfair cristism is another thing a lot of people who used to be regular visitors to TH forum have had bad life problems like health and personal stuff to deal with but there are still some of us who stoutly stay with Dave and Im sure more will return and also hopefully when the banned notice is sorted out on the European people trying to get onto the forum we will start getting a lot more new member who will be glad to be here and not just to what we in England call Nit Pick Wink Wink
Spazza
Field Mouse
Field Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
suack wrote:
Well Spazz not sure what to reply to all you have been putting in the forum since you became a member but I for one feel you have over stepped the mark in quite a few things.
I have been a member of TH for almost 5 years and I am still here and proud to be here and I back Dave in all he has done to keep this place going and without money it hasnt been easy Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
His asking for donations is the only way he has to let people know he needs there help and I help him when ever I can even though I am not in a life in which its easy to do but for my love of those animals of his I will donate what I can when I can and if you dont like the way this site is run then I suggest you might like to go and visit other ones !!!!!
Everyone on here does not mind critisim as that is what keeps a place on its toes but unfair cristism is another thing a lot of people who used to be regular visitors to TH forum have had bad life problems like health and personal stuff to deal with but there are still some of us who stoutly stay with Dave and Im sure more will return and also hopefully when the banned notice is sorted out on the European people trying to get onto the forum we will start getting a lot more new member who will be glad to be here and not just to what we in England call Nit Pick Wink Wink

Hi Suack

I think you have misunderstood much of what has been said -

I have always made it very clear that what has been said is my view as an outsider coming in - & my point has always been that if i am viewing what is being said - & picking up on how its being said - which i feel at times is quite offensive to the average person let alone children - then how many others are viewing & feeling the same way & not coming back & i have always clearly said other than in 1 post to Dave that no offense is intended

As i have previously posted i am a very straight forward, down to earth kiwi - i express my view the way i do to get people to see what others may very well be seeing & hearing & the emotional impact on those people - which can lead to some very deep emotional damage to some - this in my view is abuse - unfair abuse - which could also create huge repercusions to those also previously involved

I am a parent & foster parent - I deal with many emotional issues in relation to this on a daily basis & this site to me - is no exception & due to it being a public arena which does involve children - in my view is uncalled for

I have no problem at all with Dave expressing the need for donations & help with the animals & the sanctuary - but not to a point of wanting to know what peoples "excuses" are for not being here to do so anymore when they have claimed to care - you have said yrself in yr post - that some are unable to contribute or be here any more due to bad life problems, health & personal stuff - which clarifies my previous point - that we do have lives outside of Tigerhomes (as a whole - animals & sactuary included) which are not neccasarily easy 1s (including financially) but which do involve the people we live with everyday who depend on us & who have to come first over & above all else in this world - it is a fact of life itself & dosnt mean people dont care or have stopped caring - they are just not in a position to carry on with what is needed to help out donation wise - & it is sad that some therefore dont feel worthy of being here

A question that dosnt need answering - Does Dave have a partner & children of his own to know what many live with everyday? My answer to that is wether he does or not has been 1 of choice - as is the caring of the animals & sanctuary he needs to provide for those animals - granted - he needs help to do that & i take me hat off to you Suack & to those who have been able to continually contribute - wether its all the time or on a here & there basis - is irrelevant - wether it is in the form of donations or posting in here - too is irrelevant - its the mere fact that some are continuing to do so & who have been over a long period of time - regardless of circumstances - been able to

I do agree with you in relation to the 'banned' notice that apparently some do see - it certainly will not be helping as far as needing help goes to help support the animals & the sanctuary

You said in yr post that you feel i have over stepped the mark in what i have been putting into the forum - my view is 1 of looking toward the future of Tigerhomes - the animals & the sanctuary - & the encouragement & comfort of others to come & view & do IF &/or when they are able to in a friendly manner - & in my view - friends matter & deserve to be looked after (emotionally or otherwise regardless of circumstance) - & that view- i feel - is a possitive 1

I do intend to contribute meself in the very near future but i am having huge difficulty deciding just which animal i want to adopt Laughing - i have link after link in me Tigerhomes bookmark folder that i visit most days trying to decide - if i could i would adopt them all but in reality i cant - so i'm just being extremely picky & taking me time so i am happy with me decision

Suack - i do hope this post clarifies many things about me to you - it is very difficult sometimes to get across to people in a website or via txt msg & goodness knows what other forms of communictions we have in this world - just what people are sayig & how they are saying them when you cant hear the tones or see the expressions of those people face to face & yep - sometimes i walk into things & let off a bang to get peoples attention to pull them into viewing thier behaviour which isnt always looking good through the eyes of others - especially children

I always thought nit picking was for monkeys - Laughing Laughing

Hugz Fi

"Be Patient - All Good Things Take Time"
Lodaya Siberia
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sorry to say that, but I need to "grumble" again:
I have noticed that many users often ignore the spelling rules, much more worse is that many don't use any punctuation marks (Yes, I know that my own english is not perfekt and that I probably should not be the person, who critizise other at this point, but I guess someone has to begin this. By the way: If I should make any mistakes, I would be glad, if you point out the mistake).
It is often annoying, when you read posts, which are written that way.
I just want to ask everyone to take notice of duly writing. Smile

The second point that I want to touch open is that we often change the topic in a thread and talk about something, which has nothing to do with the thread. This does not often further the thread / the discussion and the thread becomes rather senseless.
In addition to that we often post some really short posts, which contains only something like this: "Great article, post, thread or whatever, [insert random name here]. Thanks for sharing it with us!" (Look in the "Animals in the News & Animal Trivia"-Forum, the threads are redundant with it)
It's great that everyone wants to animate the forum, but posts like these don't really help. Confused It would be more helpful, if we start a (respectively further the) discussion and/or the real topic of the actual thread.

By the way: I have begun an additional list, in which I had written down more things, I wanted to touch open. Anyway I will post some more in the next days, but now the school has priority. Wink
Lodaya Siberia
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sometimes I wonder, why I am still here. Sure I am quite inactive, but I check the forum for new posts every day. I must admit that I didn't thought that the forum can be active and bug-free again someday... for a long time. I was (or am) really pessimistic. I augur ill of the future of the planet, I augur ill of the future of the nature and I augur ill of the future of TigerHomes. I was optimistic once, but the general behavior of mankind, which always was selfish, stupid and reckless for me, shook my view of life again and again.
And still... I never gave up. I am here since years and I never left. This sounds so kitschy, but that's the way it is. I just hate it, when you can do something and you don't do it. Too often I act like that, so you can say I hate myself sometimes, at least these thoughts motivate me to do something.
I am almost done with my A levels (or Abitur or Higher School Certificate or however named) and between my exams I have much time. So I take my time to show you my plan how we can change our (sub)forums, so that they are neatly arranged. I guess we can do something more for the forum or Tigerhomes in general, but I hope this will help to get some new members:

The high number of forums we have scare new members off, because they aren't neatly arranged. So I made a list with a new layout:

- Tigerhomes.org Website Updates:
I believe four different forums in this zone are too much. We only need two, which contain something like that:
- A forum about updates and news about the site and the forum. Furthermore the "Read Me" and Threads with FAQs and general help should be in this forum.
- Dave's Sanctuary Updates can still be as it is. Here is no need of a change. But the complete "Hurricane Wilma and Katrina Recovery"-forum can be put in this forum, but only the important threads of it.

- Most Popular:
In general everything can still be as it is:
- Welcome - Meet New Members (however I would change the name. Wink )
- Rant & Rave alias Off-Topic
- Animals in the News, I think the Trivia stuff can be put in the Rant & Rave-Forum.
- Member Art (including the Snapshots)

- Tigers, Leopards and Other Wild Cats + African Lions + Lemurs + Meet the Rest of the Family = Everything, which has to do with animals.
To be honest, we have more forums about the different animals than we need. Actually we don't need more than this:
- A forum about big cats (including tigers, lions, leopards, cougars and the rest)
- A forum about lemurs
- A forum about every other animals

- Other Stuff
- A forum about the Sanctuary (including TigerHomes Mission + About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep)
- And then a forum which includes A Collective Effort and Habitat Protection.

The "HELP 101"-forums are unnecessary and we don't need them anymore.

A forum, what is very necessary is an archive. We have so many threads, which are old and redundant, but not so redundant, that you should delete them, and the forums are overcrowded with these threads. An archive is possibly the most important forum, that we can add.

I hope some of you will respond to this post. At least it will help my view of mankind.

"How loud must be the silence,
so that the pleading will be answered?"

- by "Samsas Traum" - "Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> Rant & Rave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: