Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Exotics for Sale-Big No-No

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coleman
Lemur
Lemur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Exotics for Sale-Big No-No Reply with quote
Yesterday, I learned about and actually saw a warehouse that sells exotic cats, etc. to private individuals. I think I remember reading about such things on this forum "somewhere" before, but could not remember just where. So, I started this new topic.

I was stunned Shocked to learn of such a place so close to my home in West Central Georgia! While I know we should not encourage those businesses by buying their animals, and goodness knows, I would never take on ownership of such animals myself; but, I then asked myself, what happens if no one buys the animals, such as if the business was boycotted? My husband seemed to think the animals would be euthanized. Crying or Very sad If that's true, then it's a double wammy for the unfortunate animals in the care of such businesses. So what's the answer for the poor animals caged inside? Unfortunately, I think there will always be a market for them by individuals who just don't understand the ramifications of what they are buying.

This whole thing enraged me! Mad I just had to post this information, just in case someone from my locale should get on the web, this forum, and see this. Don't buy exotics unless you represent a zoo or a wildlife sanctuary and you know what you are doing and getting into. Think first about what's best for the animal, and not your personal desire to own a cute little baby exotic animal!

Agree or disagree?
Smilodon
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I totally agree. Sad I think that if people were to stop buying these animals, many of the ones already existing would be euthanized. However, since they wouldn't be profitable any more, in the long run less animals would go through this because the breeders would stop breeding them. Cool
bertnspike
Panther
Panther

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just thought you'd like to know what happens to those animals.........

They are sold to a gigantic ranch in Texas (there may be others) where idiots with more money than brains get to hunt them and kill them for the "sport". I believe this costs around 10,000 dollars U.S.

Ya' know, I really don't understand why anyone is permitted to breed any of these animals.

Preservation of a species is one thing, but what possible excuse could there be for breeding an animal that has no future? How can the "powers that be" allow such a thing to go on?

I could not get permission to keep and breed Florida scrub jays (many years ago), which are very threatened, if not endangered, but somebody somehow got permission to raise white tigers for the big game hunting business?!?!?! WHAT is THAT all about?

Aren't the humans on this planet bizarre???? I do include myself in that...
being bizarre & on this planet I mean. Nothing DIES for me to be that way though. AND when I feel the need for a companion animal, I RESCUE one. I DON'T go to a breeder & encourage more production.

Geez! Mother Earth is just not BIG enough for any more. I Hop got it right the last time - only one at a time is necessary.

Preaching to the choir, right?

Isn't it great to have a place to rant like this? I am surprised by how much time I end up spending here each day.

Laughing Laughing
Smilodon
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like canned hunts.
I don't know why breeding or owning large, endangered, dangerous animals is legal anywhere in the US. Laws about what you can own and how are extremely variable, so maybe it has something to do with local politics. Rolling Eyes
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hehe Interesting discussion. The exotic animal trade is really BIG money! From what I've read -- I understand it to be a multi-BILLION dollar business.

Just to play "devil's advocate" for a minute - here's a website that I've visited several times and read their views. The FCF (Feline Conservation Federation) has been around for a very long time and opposes legislation that would ban private ownership of exotic cats.

Any thoughts Question

Legal Issues: Why Bans Don't Work
http://www.felineconservation.org/R3/Legal/Bans/default.html

Their policy on big cat ownership:
http://www.felineconservation.org/R3/Husbandry/NotForEverybody/BigCat.html

Legal Issues: Protecting Your Rights
http://www.thefcf.com/legal/legalisoct1805.asp?key=318

Here's the same page from their old website:
http://www.felineconservation.org/R3/Legal/Action/default.html

Why Keep Exotic Cats in Captivity?
http://www.thefcf.com/husbandry/whykeep.asp?key=50

The FCF has a great page for those who are interested in what the current & pending legislation is in their state (regarding private ownership of exotic cats).
http://www.thefcf.com/legal/legalstart.asp?key=29

ALSO...

Is anyone familiar with the National Alternative Pet Association?
http://www.altpet.net/mission.html

V Twisted Evil

Smilodon
African Leopard
African Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting links.
I can see how this could be looked at from a legal perspective, with preventing the ownership of such animals imposing on people's rights. However, I've heard of other things that were banned because they were considered a bad idea. In many states (not sure if it's a majority yet or not), there is a law requiring all people driving in a car to wear seat belts. People have protested and said that it is their right to choose if they want to wear a seat belt or not, but apparently in some places, including Oklahoma, the government has decided to enforce common sense. I don't mind, but it is quite confusing. Confused
The third to last link (Why Keep Exotic Cats in Captivity?) stated that private owners supply zoos with big cats. Do many zoos actually rely on private breeding instead of other zoos?
kitty24
Ocelot
Ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Man, oh Man! Thanks so much for posting those links, Val! I especially liked this one http://www.thefcf.com/legal/legalstart.asp?key=29 and bookmarking that one! The tabs up at the top of the page have loads of info on them and I was particularly interested in the Husbandry one! That is a great additon to my studies that I've been nerding on. Thanks so much, Sis! You've def earned that new badge you got! Wink Razz
bertnspike
Panther
Panther

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitty24 wrote:
Man, oh Man! Thanks so much for posting those links, Val! I especially liked this one http://www.thefcf.com/legal/legalstart.asp?key=29 and bookmarking that one! The tabs up at the top of the page have loads of info on them and I was particularly interested in the Husbandry one! That is a great additon to my studies that I've been nerding on. Thanks so much, Sis! You've def earned that new badge you got! Wink Razz

Wow, that was interesting. Back in the late '80s when I had permits for exotic birds the rules were very different. Then, once I had the permit, I could keep almost anything - like a rhino or antelope - as long as it was secure and my neighbors didn't object. I had less than one-quarter of an acre! I'm glad they are so much more strict now.

No wonder my veterinarian's exotic bird clientel has dropped by 80 percent since then! Too Cool
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smilodon wrote:
The third to last link (Why Keep Exotic Cats in Captivity?) stated that private owners supply zoos with big cats. Do many zoos actually rely on private breeding instead of other zoos?

That is a GREAT question! (I see that I am not the only one playing "Devil's Advocate" here Twisted Evil ). The answer to that would be "no." If that actually happens - it would be a rarity. REALLY RARE!

From what I've read on many sites that I've visited (I'll try to find one of those links), Zoos won't take your exotic feline for a number of reasons. One of them being that they don't have space for the many big kitties that grew too big or too dangerous for their owners to deal with. Hence the overburdening of sanctuaries, and the many animals that come to them are in sad shape.

Statistics from Big Cat Rescue (and that is just ONE sanctuary):

What happens to most exotic cats that are purchased?
http://www.bigcatrescue.org/buy_a_big_cat.htm

What happens to the ones that don't work out?
http://www.bigcatrescue.org/animal_abuse.htm

Note: There is a GREAT API investigative video on this page! You won't believe what you see people doing with their exotic "pets." Shocked

Another reason that zoos might reject pet exotics, would be that they keep stud-books on their cats. And a big cat of uncertain lineage, perhaps also a disease risk to the other cats, and possibly not suitable for display due to abuse -- would be undesirable.

Surprise for Exotic Pet Owners Exclamation
Shame on those folks for putting that out there! Bad info. on their part! I'm imagining the heartbreak people who buy into what they said, only to find out that noone will take the big cat they can either no longer afford or deal with. Some cats end up euthanized. Sad

I wonder if Dave gets calls from people in those types of situations? Confused

Quote from Detroit Press article: (Zoo known as exotic-pet haven, July 27, 2000, by Tamara Audi, Free Press Writer)

Quote:
Taking in an abandoned exotic animal runs counter to the main mission of U.S. zoos, those in the animal community say, which is to conserve rare animals by breeding. Rescued exotic animals are often viewed as useless because they take up precious space and money, but do not produce.

Another article on wired.com (Not-So-Cuddly Pets, by Ruth David, Forbes.com, May, 11, 2006)
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,70865-0.html

V

P.S. You're welcome Kitty. Very Happy
P.S.S. Awesome discussion you started Coleman! Very Happy

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: