Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

ANIMAL HEALTH, MAINTANCE & CARE INCLUDING VETINERINARY

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LEMUR-J
* * Nerd * *
* * Nerd * *

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: ANIMAL HEALTH, MAINTANCE & CARE INCLUDING VETINERINARY Reply with quote
Well, as some of you were made aware by David's earlier entry, Tundra the Sanctuary's adult female White Tiger was recently bit by her habitat mate Loki. David and I have seen numerous large feline injuries in our 25+ years of exotic animal husbandry experience, and this one was very minor. We are lucky because it could have easily been ALLOT worse. Anyhow, to make a long story short, Tundra was instigating Loki who is normally extremely well mannered and tolerant. Well, this day was obviously different and in 2.2 seconds after Tundra's last teasing nip to his ankles, Loki exploded with a fast jump and bite to Tundra's neck head. Tundra was definitely startled and spooked but was in overall good heath. She was more embarrasses I think then anything else. She did however receive about 3 minor shin rips and punctures. These punctures and skin tears could easily get infected and cause serious future health problems, stress, and increased recovery time, so David and I with the recommendation of one of our vets Dr. Kramer made the decision to tranquilize her to thoroughly look her over and clean her wounds. I will write more on all of the details on the specifics of this in a "Behind the Scenes" article that will include pictures of the procedure. Speaking of pictures, some of our "CAM ADDICTED" fans have been sending David and I GOBS of amazing "SNAP SHOTS" taken directly from our web cams. In fact, Cathy who lurks here in the forum often sent us some amazing snap shots practically documenting the entire procedure in chronologically order. From "Knock Down" to "Wake Up", she managed to capture every segment Tundra's health maintenance. Anyhow, I need to bail to feed the Sanctuary's colony of Crocodile Monitors. Keep an eye out for the new
entries in the "BEHIND THE SCENES" section. And by all means, if you want to really get a feel for the Sanctuary and David & Myself's work and conservation efforts, please purchase our DVD's! They are awesome and totally unique, and totally show of the Sanctuary grounds and habitats like you have never seen!

Jason

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: HONORED Reply with quote
Well this is so interesting - "I am ADDICTED and lurking" - I needed this smile Laughing after watching you guys working on Tundra. It was quite a privilege and I still feel very Honored to have been able to document the complete procedure on this most rare and Endangered Species of White Siberian Tiger. Through your cam "eyes" we have come to know and love her as Tundra Exclamation Exclamation Without the cams and all the effort to bring the Sanctuary on-line we would never get to know that experience. Thanks to everyone who brings it to the big screen for us. OK - I am off for my cam counseling session - bye Cool

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: DVD-Power Cats Reply with quote
JASON WROTE "work and conservation efforts, please purchase our DVD's! They are awesome and totally unique, and totally show of the Sanctuary grounds and habitats like you have never seen!"

Wanted to tell you guys JASON IS RIGHT - There is no better way to spend some "quality" time with Dave & Jason to understand their love for these magnificent creatures. To really see the sights, the sounds and the colors of the Sanctuary & to go inside the habitats with the animals will make you feel a part of this wonderful creation. The amount of knowledge and the professional delivery is truly astounding.

If you want to get closer to these animals & learn about them this is the ticket. You will find out not only size, weights, species & popluation information but many other rich facts - Do cats see in color Question What is so unique about Loki Question Who is he named after Question Very appropriate now - must admit Rolling Eyes

The answers are in the DVD for those who want to learn & at the same time sponsor the Sanctuary and the tremendous job these guys are doing for these animals and for US. Want to see tigerdave jump up on a Tiger Stand Twisted Evil Want to see Otter John work up a sweat exercising a Florida Panther Question Twisted Evil Question

The other DVD's are equally as good Laughing Wanted to take this forum OPP to say
AWESOME Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> About the Sanctuary & Daily Upkeep All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: