Tigerhomes.org Animal Sanctuary Forum
Click Here to Go To Cams

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

DNA traces feline history across continents

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: DNA traces feline history across continents Reply with quote
Finally getting a chance to catch up on some email alerts and such tonight and I would like to share one that I found quite interesting regarding the tracing of wild cats history. According to the article there has been much confusion and it is hard to positively ID separate species from skeletal remains or fossil evidence. This new study has been making much progress in validating a lot of information through the use of DNA samplings.........well, heck, for an informative read on the history of wild cats and their evolution go here: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/01/06/news/cats.php

I found it particularly interesting that the cheetah belongs to a lineage that originated in North America......3 million years ago that is. Wink

Near the end of the article it is mentioned that excepting housecats/domestics and a couple other small cats, nearly every one of the 37 species is endangered or threatened. That is sad. Two words: HABITAT DESTRUCTION. Critical to the 'Future of Wild Cats'

Adding another one in here......small update on the tiger situation in India:
LINK BROKEN please use BarbaraJ's--next post. Embarassed

Last edited by gb3llma on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarbaraJ
Top Nerd
Top Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Feline History Reply with quote
Very interesting and thanks for posting this, Laura.

Hope you don't mind, but your link to the tiger story was broken Wink I corrected it below. A single tiger can be worth up to $50,000 on the black market Exclamation

http://tinyurl.com/axrom
gb3llma
Baby Polar Bear
Baby Polar Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Barb for fixing that......I could have sworn it worked last night (or early am?) when I put that in. (arrggghh...my first time trying out the tinylinks thingie and I wonder what went wrong!)

The guys at TH have said this before and it is so true: it is sad to realize that these magnificent felines are worth far more dead than alive. Couple that with the loss of habitat and prey, it gets frightening to think of the odds against a viable wild population. Such a sad statement for humans' caretaking of this planet and it's creatures.

Let's all hope and pray and do whatever is within our collective powers to forestall any event where this DNA tracking of the history of WILD cats doesn't come to a screeching halt within our generation. There has just GOT to be a way.......
vlad
Clouded Leopard
Clouded Leopard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Laura. I "stole" your links! Twisted Evil That was some great reading - both articles. Very Happy Also, thanks for that update on the tigers in India. Nice to see those folks beginning to get serious about the poaching that takes place EVEN in their sancturaries. Some months back, I was reading about how corrupt the officials are - and how their "efforts" have been mostly lip service. 100 experts out in the field using radio collars & computer technology to help eliminate the apparently common duplication in the wild tiger population census sounds pretty serious!

That is a great start - and I hope it isn't too late for their tigers. Crying or Very sad We'll know this isn't just a massive PR campaign when they make much stiffer penalties for the poachers and start a massive crack-down on those weasels! Evil or Very Mad From what I've read - the other "weasels" that need to be put in check are the officials who are supposed to be guarding the tiger sanctuaries against poaching. Their penalties should be even more severe, since their abuses take place under the "color of authority."

An interesting note from the International Herald Tribune article on the evolution of the cats:
After noting their tremendous evolutionary success - they quoted a statement made by Johnson & O'brien in their current Annual Review of Genomis & Human Genetics:
"With the exception of the house cat and a few other small cat species, nearly every one of the 37 species is considered endangered or threatened."

I can hear Dave saying - as he did about the emminent extinction faced by those magnificent cheetahs - "Thank you humans."

P.S. Gotta apologize to our animal friends - the weasels! They are awesome, interesting creatures & much nicer than those poachers & corrupt officials who have contributed to the demise of my favorite big cat! Twisted Evil

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TigerHomes.org Forum Index -> The Future of Wild Cats All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: