To use a picture as wallpaper on Mac OS X (10.3.x) and Safari
(or t~e's Amazing Wallpaper Switcheroo
for Rocky and Bullwinkle fans)
- Either control-click (hold down the control button as you click the link) and choose Download Linked File from the menu
- Hold down the option button and click the link where the picture is stored
This will download the image file to which ever directory you have set to store downloaded files (the Desktop is the default folder, so if you haven't changed where Safari stores files, the icon should show up on the Desktop.)
- Wait for the file to finish downloading
- Control-click the Desktop itself (find a blank space on the Desktop with no icons and control-click that section) and choose Change Desktop Background to open up the Desktop and Screen Saver control panel
- Go to the System Preferences icon on the Dock and choose the Desktop and Screen Saver icon from the Personal section to go to the same control panel.
- Find the icon of the link you just downloaded on the Desktop (or where you save files) and drag that icon from it's position in the Finder to the picture of the monitor in the Desktop and Screen Saver control panel.
- Wait a second for the wallpaper to change over...
- Enjoy! You can now close out of the Desktop and Screen Saver control panel.
NOTE: If you move the file from the Desktop and restart the computer, the picture will disappear as wallpaper, so you may want to save it in a safe place... To change the wallpaper again, just drag any icon from a .jpg or other image file to the picture of the monitor in the Desktop and Screen Saver control panel as you did with the icon from the desktop.